Author Topic: Looking for help identifying two tables  (Read 1475 times)

TeresePamela

• View Profile
Looking for help identifying two tables
« on: June 26, 2009, 12:40:38 pm »
The larger table has significant damage as you can see, the smaller one has some damage that isn't so clear.  
Can anyone tell me anything about these tables?  Any idea of their value?

Also how can I know if an antique dealer is honest or not?

These two tables were left to us and neither I nor my husband know anything about antiques.

Thanks for any and all help,
Pam
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:49:49 pm by TeresePamela »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Looking for help identifying two tables
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:31:18 pm »
Just a suggestion , TeresePamela , you might not want to put heavy Items on your large table , so as to prevent the loose joints from breaking .

Also , why the question about honest antique dealers ?

Are you planning on keeping your furniture , or selling it ?

Regardless of what you're going to do with it , I'd suggest that you have a local finish carpenter ( or cabinetmaker ) work on it to reglue the joints , at a minimum ... or , you could do this yourself if you've got such skills .

Either way , it will increase it's value & functionality .

You might want to post a pic. of the wood-joints in the drawer , on your Lge. table .

It appears to be Mahogany wood , with a leather top .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:53 pm »
Oh my Dishonest Antique dealers ? 99% percent do try to buy as cheap as possible. they want to buy' you want to sell. no one mentions ''Free'' appraisal.

And offer is made. the larger table is called A ''Drum'' Table. looks to be 1940's. normally sell in the $ 75.00 to $ 125.00 Dollar range.

The small table is piecrust tea table. Tilt top?  the chair incidently is styled after Duncan Phyfe.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:18:52 am »
Totally agree with regularjoe and D&b!

There are alot of honest folks out there (and here).  The antique dealers will not give you top dollar because their business is to turn and sell to make money...it is their livelihood.  Yes there are some sneaky and lowdown dirty ones out there...just as in every walk of life....but overall you will find decent folks trying to make a dollar or two.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:21:04 am »
Now I use to give people wanting to sell an item a decent price at which I could still make a few dollars on when and if I sold it. But I soon learned they were not interested in selling it to me …… but would take it to another Dealer and say: “Sam offered me so-n-so for it, …. HOW MUCH WILL YOU PAY”? And then on to the next Dealer or back to the person that 1st wanted to buy it from them.

After that “free appraisal” lesson learned I would only tell them: “Tell me what you want for it and if I like the price I will buy it”.

TeresePamela

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 07:05:12 am »
Thanks to everyone - you guys are really fast and knowledgeable.
I will certainly keep the weight off the table (thanks regularjoe), hubby and I truly know nothing of antique furniture and hadn't thought of the joints.
My concern regarding antique dealers is that I'd run into one that would convince me the tables were not antique and "offer to take them off my hands" so to speak.
We are planning on selling them because we really don't have room for them and they (as you can see) are not being handled as antiques should.  I had no idea that the chairs were anything significant.
We were also left with a decorative plate and an urn-type thing that may or may not be antiques.  Now that I've found this forum, I'll take pictures and see if anyone can advise me on these also.
Thanks again for all your valuable and speedy advice.
Pam