Author Topic: Punch Bowl set  (Read 6712 times)

fatguy_poolshark

• View Profile
Punch Bowl set
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:43:11 am »
Hi, a friend has recentely asked me to find out a value/sell her punch bowl that she has had around for awhile. A appraiser had it appraised at around a thousand USD about ten years ago, however i wanted to get a more recent opinion.

It is a Webster Wilcox INTL Silver Co. punch bowl set. 12 cups, the bowl and a serving tray that holds it all. I have the numbers off the borrom as follows.

Cups:346c
Punch Bowl:345C
Tray 347C

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the information im finding on the web is very hit and miss at the moment.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Punch Bowl set
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:34:07 am »
Really need a pic of the set/markings.  Patterns and condition make a difference.

It had to be made 1961 or after and is silver plate.

The Wilcox Silver Plate Company started in 1865 -  based in Meriden, Connecticut.  It was one of the original firms that helped form the International Silver Company in 1898.  The factory shut down in 1941 due to a metal shortage during W.W.II. Some designs by the Wilcox Silver Plate Co. were manufactured in other I.S. Co. factories after the war. In 1961, the company trademark was changed to Webster-Wilcox.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:40:08 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
I think it's a Question for Iron lord. but I think it's pushing to get $ 250.00 Dollars for the set.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 12:02:51 pm »
Yea pics would be nice, but usually a punch bowl set in great condition made of silver plate would only bring maybe $100.00.  This is a International Silverplate, which is flooded in the market, as far as hallmarks goes, because Wilcox line may get you a bit more, but will have to look around a bit.  I'm pretty sure What KC says even $250.00 would be pushing the envelope.  I will look around a bit after work, but please post pics, you may have something really special.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:27:04 pm »
Hi guys...that is why I was asking about the pattern.  Depending on the pattern/condition may get up to $350 but they have been selling for $100 - 250 for the past 2 years....again depending on the pattern may get more if it is a highly decorated/prized one!

Although the punch bowl sets are beautiful (we were always borrowing our neighbors for parties and finally got 2 of our own about 10 years ago - full set (bowls, 12 cups each, ladles, trays and paid $100 ea) they are laborious to maintain the silver.  Been watching ever since and the only time of year selling prices go up is coming close to the holidays (namely Thanksgiving and Christmas) when people think about parties.  The rest of the year they are low unless they are a coveted design or maker!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:54:47 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »
Yea the pattern is about the most important part, when it comes to most silverplate items.  I did look around a bit on ebay and a few other sites, didn't see any wilcox, found a few towle for around $150.00, does not seem to be many though.  So maybe they are a bit out of fashion cause the labor to keep them looking good.  I know we have a glass one really nice we got for a few bucks.  KC is right on, if you really want good price for this kind of item holidays would be a good time, and with low supply that is even better.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:52:33 pm »
When it comes to punch bowls the thing that people look for is condition.  The inside/bottom of well used bowls lose their silverplating due to the acids in most punch mixtures and the rubbing of the ladle.  To replate costs more than the value of buying.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »
I'm going to be true to my nature & be contrary to everyone .... I say the most important thing about a punchbowl is what goes in it .

Two of my favorites are :

1. Wood Alcohol & Ex-lax = a S**t or Go Blind .

2. Grenadine & Cyanide = a Shirley Temple of Doom .

i know ... what a bad posting ...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:59:32 pm »
regularjoe2, you make me laugh as much as ironlord1963 (but I have never laughed as hard as I did reading about ironlord1963 viewing Elsie the Cow)!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:03 pm »
You guy make me laugh too  ;D  ;D  ;D

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 10:39:21 pm »
I'm sorry I missed the Elsie part .. searched the forum .. is it still here archived ?

Sorry for all this in your thread , fatguy-poolshark  .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »
If you search cow then look at this post titled:

Can someone give me any info on this cow?
« on: April 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 10:04:06 am »
Oh no I'm going to know for looking at a cow butt. :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:29:46 am »
Ironlord1963, there could be worse things to be known for on this site....don't know what they are immediately thinking about it....but there could be worse! HA! :)
Just kidding!  Your enthusiasm and "go-for-it" attitude are a welcome input and help make this site the unique and amusing one that it is. 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 10:49:30 pm »
Thanks for the 'local search' tip KC .

Thanks for the postings , ironlord - the cow one moooved me to laughter .

A little levity is not a bad thing .