Poll

Clueless on history.  I don't know where to begin.

Email me back with advice!
1 (100%)
I really don't know what they mean by this choice thing.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: 1920's/40's Singer Furniture Set ***Pictures Uploaded***  (Read 2411 times)

mommalissy

• Newbie at this stuff. Currently:New wife, new mom!
    • View Profile
1920's/40's Singer Furniture Set ***Pictures Uploaded***
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:59:15 pm »
Does anyone know anything about this further or how much this furniture may be worth?  I have a dining set that I recieved from my mom when I got married.  She was going to throw it out, but I always liked it and saw/still see it's potential. I used to play "cave woman" under this furniture.  So it has sentimental value to me.  Anyhow, one day I looked under the chairs and saw some tags stapled to the bottom.  There are three and here' some of the info on it one of the tags:
ONT Reg. 6309438
Singer Furniture Division
P.O. Box 511
Lenoir, N. Carolina 28645
11-75 Side Chair
Color: Cove and Minton Earth
(There is more, but I don't want to remove the staples and destroy the info.)

Anyhow, I've tried to reseach the company and get no hx. except for the singer sewing machines.  What I did find at a website is:

(http://www.furnituremagazine.com/default.cfm?page=/ViewManufacturers&Letter=k&manufdroplist=yes)

KENT-COFFEY
Lenoir, NC
In its day, Kent-Coffee was a very popular brand of furniture. It was reasonably well-made, sold in stores all over the East Coast and was priced so the average consumer could afford it.  

Kent-Coffey was a furniture company in Lenoir, NC owned by Harold Coffey, a leading influence driving the North Carolina furniture industry in the early 1900's.

Through the 60's Kent-Coffey made promotionally priced, but decent quality furniture. For unknown reasons, they were sold to the Singer Furniture Company, a subsidiary of the Singer sewing machine fame. Singer should have stuck with sewing machines because around 1997 the furniture division went bankrupt. In 2001, Kent-Coffey was named as co-defendant in a lawsuit brought by a former Singer employee suing over asbestos related illness.

Thanks for your insight!
-Lissette ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:34:55 pm by mommalissy »

sowens1966

• View Profile
Re: 1920's/40's Singer Furniture Set ***Pictures Uploaded***
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:16 pm »
Hello , I have some Singer Brand furniture too. I am looking to sell it . My daughter has out grown it and it is a few gorgeous pieces of furniture. It looks like a doll house.
 And I am to curious to see how much it is worth.
It is a 4 pc  set ( twin bed framew/ headboard lighted & bookcase, chest of drawers,
 hutch / mirror and secretary w/ drawers). The top of all pieces look like they have shingles on top like a roof. And the fronts of the secretary & chest look like a house with windows and steps. You can' t even tell there are pulls to open the drawers . It all
blends in together.
   If anyone knows anything about this kind of furniture , I would appreciate any hints.
Thanks,

S. Owens