Author Topic: Value and era of old bed?? ***pics attached  (Read 5781 times)

blondphotographer

• View Profile
Value and era of old bed?? ***pics attached
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:05 pm »
Hi everyone.
Was hoping someone would know the era of this old bed and the approximate value. It's a double/full size that has been painted white and distressed.  I do know that it originally had casters on the feet.  Thank you for your help!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Value and era of old bed?? ***pics attached
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »
Do you have the original rails & slats , blondephotog ?

blondphotographer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:29:34 am »
yes, I have the original rails- they are not painted.  And I have slats for the bed but no idea if they are the original ones though.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:17:40 am »
the bed is done in a french provincial style. Most likely Mahogany.or walnut. $75.00 to $150.00 Dollars

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:36:42 am »
Yeah.............Fr ench Provencial style!!!  Betting walnut first then mahogany second (just to rile up D&b - Ha - not really).  Agree with value as well as is.  If you get this stripped and cleaned up....more value especially if it is a fine wood!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 09:53:33 am »
I've never understood why people paint fine wood on a vintage or antique piece of furniture.  I was watching the DIY station the other day and the guy was bragging on his 6"X6" old hard yellow pine pieces he found to make table legs.  He had them lathed and then painted them black.  Why he didn't go the the local lumber yard and buy modern lumber to paint black is beyond me... ::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:01:01 am by railman44 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 10:08:57 am »
That's what 's you call a shame. The bed stead mentioned above look's to enamel paint. no primer. paint is the scourge, of antique furniture,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:30:46 am »
Ditto railman44 and D&b!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 01:17:00 pm »
Although it's lost a lot of value by being painted, I would bet it could be quite beautiful again, if stripped with a paint remover (not sanded) and nicely re-varnished, with the lovely curves and lines it has, and the large open areas, I would be willing to bet there is some beautiful wood hidden there in those wide open spaces.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:06:19 pm »
Painted stuff is a pain , with a few exceptions .
There was a bunch of furniture sold in the 60's & 70's that had been home-painted with buttermilk paint & stripped down to wood ( I like most of the Buttermilk paint appearance , more than the stripped stuff ) .

There's so much lead-based paints on everything 'old' now that I often suggest folks who are going to use -serving ware , toys , furniture ,tools , etc. ,etc. & etc. to do the simple home-test for lead ( esp. around stuff intended for kids ) .

***This suggestion goes double for folks intending to strip down or otherwise refinish their finds .***

Just imagine , 100 years from now  , how much fun it will be to strip down old latex paint without damaging the wood-grained vinyl or the chipboard on an antique entertainment center ....

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:23:31 pm »
Yes agreed, painted stuff is a pain, but it can be a labor of love too. There is something wonderfully rewarding about watching old wood emerge from under layers of paint and knowing that you are seeing something that has been hidden away all those years.

Not too long ago I bought an old ships wheel that had layer upon layer of old marine paint on it. It was horrible. I don't think there is anything much worse than marine paint. It took me weeks of painstaking work with strippers and a heat gun. What made it more difficult was that the old varnish had seeped down into the wood, and the heat gun would bring up gobs of melted goo! But I loved doing it anyway.

The final result, although it looks good, it isn't worth much more than I paid for it. But, I have a cool old piece of history, and on the spindles the wood is dark from where dirty, sweaty hands gripped the wheel. You can see the history in it, now that the horrible "easter chick yellow" paint is off, and that's what I love about old things. I sail, and I spent 2.5 years as crew of a historic tall ship, so I have a great appreciation for that kind of thing!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:59 am »
you have earned my ''Respect'' if you have stripped marine paint by hand. theres nothing harder to get off than marine or lead base paint.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 10:28:13 am »
Totally agree.  Did that once in the past....and I stress once!!!!!!!!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:54 am »
LOL Yup I really did!  ;D It was a nightmare project, messy as all heck, but fun and really neat to see the old wear on the wheel from days at sea come out of the mess. Once I got it down to the wood and original old wear I left it there and just put a little clear coat on it and let the original wood show through. Here are the before and after photos as inspiration for Blondephotographer. I bet there is a beautiful bed hiding under the paint!

Before... yuck!

After...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 02:00:45 pm »
That's nice work. at one time I had access to a large, supply of old and antique furniture. damaged painted but all Free ! accidently Gained a reputation as one of the best refinishers in the area.

No dipping, all hand work. Now I'am old Hatefull & Grouchy along with Congestive Heart Failure. can't do it any  more.