Author Topic: Fiestaware  (Read 9788 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Fiestaware
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:38:53 pm »
   O.k. a Family in law member want me to help figure out the value of her collection of Fiestaware, and possible list them for sale.  Just today I began my investigation into fiestaware, I have learned a bit and will be digging into the subject over the next few day.  Any Hints, clues, or links that may help me on this journey.  I have no pics of colors as of yet but was just ask to help, we will see, from the sounds of it they think they have a gold mine and all I see so far is maybe a copper mine  :P.   Anyway just thought I would ask

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Fiestaware
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:19 pm »
  O.k. it's not a copper mine, but a Uranium mine :o.  At least the early stuff is, this could be a intresting search.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:52:24 am »
I was just about to say uranium mine when I saw you already posted it  :P

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:04:30 am »
My wife has lots of it inherited from her Mother.  From what I understand, they reissued it/some but in different colors.  I don't hear much about it anymore so I don't know how the prices have held up.  Some of my wife's stuff like the coffee pot is fairly rare from what I understand.  I know some people used to rabidly collect the stuff...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:10:43 am »
A “collection” of verses an original complete “setting” of the old Fiestaware might make the difference between it being gold or uranium. ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:57:42 am »
If they are original pieces $$$

Color does make a difference since some were made earlier than others.  Pieces also make a difference.  The larger the set, the greater the $$.  And, as we all know...condition of said items makes a huge difference!

Fiesta Ware has been collectible ever since it came out.  It has trends - ups and downs.    But there are die hards out there and quite a lot of them willing to pay good money for originals.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:43 pm »
I have some of this stuff, all in the cobalt blue. It's my everyday dinnerware. I had no idea it was even collectable. There are a couple of pieces like the pitcher that I picked up in thrift stores... I guess I ought to check the bottoms when I get home! I don't think mine are old though.

The Wikipedia page on Fiestaware has a pretty detailed history, and there are quite a few links at the bottom of the page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiesta_(dinnerware)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »
I don't know if my wife has a 'fool's gold' or a real gold mine.  The colbalt blue coffee pot is bearly visable behind the ivory creamer.  Lots of plates, cereral bowls, juice glasses, glasses, salad bowls, etc.  It was collected by her Mother many years ago when it was free.  Her Mother died in the mid '80's.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 01:45:21 pm »
I have several cases packed in storage from when we sold a cabin we inherited in California that is original.  Also inherited original Bauer (which looks like Fiesta).  and the fun one is some Catalina Pottery (when Catalina Island was owned by Wrigley Gum Family and made pottery).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:47:32 pm »
What I have learned is that they made them until 1969, these are the older ones, depending the color, red for sure has uranimun.  Then in 1982 they started making them again.  I have found out that most of hers are earlier then 1982, but she contiuned to collect it, so she has a mix match set, of various color.  So now I have to find out more, thanks for the info, I'm going to start looking for pieces now too, amazing what is collected, I just thought they were plain ole' plates.  P.S. don't eat off the early red ones.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
the turmoil over fiesta. started about 1982. like every thing it became a craze. I would suggest e-bay as a starting point as to value.

kimb389

• View Profile
    • Kentucky Antiques
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 07:41:14 pm »
Hello Ironlord!

I'm new here and pleased to make your acquaintance. I am one of those "rabid" collectors, and have considerable knowledge about vintage fiesta. I've been a collector for some 12 years, and have had vintage fiestaware in my family for 40 - 50 years. These days, Fiesta collections can indeed be quite valuable, but a lot depends on the number of pieces, the type of piece (ie plate, lunch plate, coffee cup, onion soup bowl etc.) as well as condition and color.

If you would like to send me a PM with specific information, I'm certain that I could help you to at least make a general determination about the value of your family member's collection. Something to give you a "ballpark" idea of its worth.

I'm more than happy to help if you so choose. I love, live and breath the stuff  ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 08:10:05 pm »
Thank you much Kimb, When I get all the details I will post some more.  I will get some more over the next day or two.  I live in Washington state, and my family is in Mo.,  So I won't get to physically touch them, This is all happening over a phone and the net.  But I will let all know what I find out.  I have read a bit on it yesterday and today, and have surfed most places these daintly little fingers take me.   The crazy thing is I have ask about everybody I know, and It would seem it is just me that has never heard of Fiestaware until yesterday, just show I have a long road ahead, but it will be fun.  Plus I now know of at least 6 people now who have Fiestaware, I want some of that radioactive dinnerware too  ;D  Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, they will be helpful, just want to help a family member out.   

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:53:24 pm »
Woo-hooo! SCORE! Looks like it is old!  :D

I've got one marked piece, this cobalt pitcher. I think I bought it in a thrift store somewhere. I don't even remember where it came from.

Here's a Web site showing the older Fiestaware mark:
http://www.writersrow.com/joyceharmon/fiesta.html

I have to thank you guys for posting this topic, I would never have thought that pitcher was anything but blue and kinda cute in my kitchen.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 12:01:08 am »
Found a Fiestaware price guide:
http://www.happyheidi.com/antiques/Fiesta-Price-Guide.html

Looks like my goofy little pitcher is worth about $200! Cool!  ;D I never would have thought that in a million years.