Author Topic: Fiestaware  (Read 9789 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Fiestaware
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 12:27:24 am »
Nice pitcher tales, I think my mum had a similar one, but it was probably newer. She used a later copy of fiestaware, the dishes were brighter than the old fiesta (with the exception of a few colors like cobalt and the reds). I think it is called Flamingo Ware, maybe same company but perhaps later? Not sure.

kimb389

• View Profile
    • Kentucky Antiques
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 07:09:06 am »
Hi Taleofsevenseas,

Glad for your find. It's always nice to find out something you just thought was "pretty" is worth a little something. And I in no way wish to steal your thunder, but just want to let you know that the value you have on it is a bit on the high side.

As an explanation, you will find wide-ranging values on vintage Fiestaware. The long and short of it is that years ago, you could find vintage Fiesta just as I think you mentioned earlier...in thrift stores. It was quite common to see pieces there. However, once Fiestaware became such a collectible (Baby Boomers growing up I think had a lot to do with it), finding it anywhere other than antiques and collectibles stores became a rarity. And, the prices and values soared. Then, along came Ebay, the great equalizer. And now, even though you may not find as much Fiestaware in the stores, you can ALWAYS find it on Ebay. And if it's not the piece you want or in the condition you'd like, just wait a bit, and it will show up.

That being said, Ebay has caused the purchase price of many pieces of Fiestaware to decrease. So, while some sources may tell you that your pitcher is worth $200, PLEASE take that with a grain of salt and know that if you ever choose to sell your piece or value it for some other reason, the actual value could be half that. I've actually paid a little less than half that amount for one of those that was in pristine condition, but then again, I'm an absolutely great bidder  :).

Don't want to burst your bubble, just trying to help collectors to be truly informed. It's a very nice-looking piece!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:05 am »
T7C's - I have found that many things I think aren't worth anything....are usually the things that are!  Crazy world!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 09:58:45 am »
Hi Kimb,
Thanks for that info! No worries at all, I am just thrilled that it is old and has value at all, since I was completely unaware of it until this forum topic came along. I just thought it was another piece of the 1980's - current day cobalt stuff that I've been cobbling together over the years and using as daily dinnerware. The nice thing about that cobalt is that you can pick up a piece here and a piece there and before you know it , it looks like a matching set! It's cheap and plentiful and looks great on the open shelves in my kitchen. This pitcher was the only piece of Fiestaware in about 50 pieces or so, and I don't think I paid more than a dollar or two for that pitcher. So I'm really not at all concerned about its actual monitary value. I know everything has gone down with the economy too. This was just a random bit of luck!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kimb389

• View Profile
    • Kentucky Antiques
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »
Dear Tasteofsevenseas,

That's not a random bit of luck, that's a blessing! To find a piece like that, in that good condition and just mixed in with others for a couple bucks...those are the days we collectors live for! Congratulations!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 03:47:07 pm »
I want some Fiestaware  :(.   LOL

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 10:21:15 pm »
Thanks! Yeah it doesn't have any chips, cracks or crazing, which is another reason why I thought it was new. It doesn't have any signs that it is old.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »
I was toasting a bagel this morning and when I flipped over my plate... bingo! Fiestaware! Noting the rings in the design, I started digging through my plates and found a total of three- One full-size dinner plate and two saucers. I don't know how I missed these when I looked earlier. They must have been in the dishwasher or something. Pretty good way to kick of a Saturday morning.

I have a question about my Fiestaware pitcher shown above. Is it a water pitcher or a juice pitcher? I'm guessing it is a water pitcher because I don't see a cobalt juice pitcher on the price guide. http://www.happyheidi.com/antiques/Fiesta-Price-Guide.html I would guess the juice and water pitchers are different sizes?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 07:00:44 pm »
Yes according to my book on Fiesta wear the Juice pitcher is smaller then the Water pitcher.  It list it as 30 oz., but does not give the Oz rate of the the water pitcher.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 01:48:09 am »
I suspect I have the water pitcher, (worth less) but will have to grab a measuring cup to find out for sure.

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »
Hi, i love the fiestaware and turned down a family member to buy all of hers because i had read the old stuff has lead on it. You can buy a tester to see if lead is in your dishes. So i did go out and buy one of each of the new fiestaware and (tho ex husbands has it now) for a short time it was fun decorating my table with different colors. I love the shapes and wish more things were in the styles of the 1920's-50's.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 09:48:39 pm »
If I am not mistaken, it is only certain colors that have this problem. I think it was the red, right?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 09:00:05 am »
The pigment in red Fiestaware contains, among other things, uranium oxide. The Homer Laughlin China Company, which began making Fiestaware in 1936, was forced to discontinue the red version in 1943 so the uranium could be diverted to make atom bombs.  Don't get too alarmed because the actual amount of radioactivity is extremely low but there is also lead in the red.  If you have red you just don't want to eat high acid food continually (tomato sauces) and try and wash your dishes often - that should rectify the problem!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

tendr

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 03:27:01 am »
I don't know where but i'd see if google can tell you, i'd buy a kit to test the old dishes. you swab it and then it will tell you if there's lead. I saw a special on oprah about it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:45 am »
Weeeell, since it's only three plates and a water pitcher, I guess it might not be a bad idea to retire them from service.