Author Topic: Unknown pottery marked Japan  (Read 4629 times)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
Re: Unknown pottery marked Japan
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »
The style sure looks like majolica, but then again, seeing as it is from Japan...

recreel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 01:25:19 pm »
You know that I found several pieces of majolica on e-bay that looked very similar in style of flowers and the color of yellow but again none had JAPAN on the bottom and there was some distinct differences that I mentioned before.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »
Yeah, it's an interesting set! Stylistically very similar to majolica.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:30:03 am »
Fortunately, many people liked the majolica style that was original.  Unfortunately, potters knew that and made their versions (which is okay) but just as well many copycats were made to try and dupe people! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

recreel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 03:56:55 pm »
You know I think that is what scares me alot. Most of what I have are sentimental pieces that belonged to our grandmothers. Doesn't really matter what those things are worth but I am really attracted to the white milk glass, mostly hobnail and I am leaning towards it not having to be Fenton all of the time but at the same time I don't want to buy something that was produced last year thinking it is vintage. The vintage part is also appealing to me. Knowing something is old, wondering who used it and what did it mean to them. Maybe my imagination shouldn't get involved but it makes it interesting anyway.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 05:27:04 pm »
recreel, most people get into this because they have sentimental attachments to styles/items.  When you keep your focus on this then you can't go wrong.  When you find that really exciting piece that is worth $$$$$$$$$ it is just that much more appreciated.  When you pay a little too much for something....it isn't that bad because it was something you liked!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 06:31:42 pm »
Now's a great time to collect majolica. I listed a pair of $300 majolica candlesticks on eBay a few weeks ago and they ended up only selling for $45 :( I guess that's what I get for making half of the pictures the tiny pin-point of a paint chip :P