Author Topic: Japanese Candy Dish? Any Value  (Read 2266 times)

amd250

• View Profile
Japanese Candy Dish? Any Value
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:38 am »
I also have a tea cup to go with this.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Candy Dish? Any Value
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:29:22 pm »
Any markings on the back?  If so, a pic please.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

amd250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:05:48 am »
no markings at all.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 10:48:11 am »
I don't know what it is, but wanted to comment that it's beautiful!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

amd250

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »
So the question is how much do I sell it for?  Do i bring it to an antique dealer?

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »
Not sure... it is personal preference. It will take much longer for a piece to sell in an antique shop, and a lot of the time unmarked Japanese porcelain sells for a very cheap price. If it was my piece, I would sell it on eBay if at all. That way you will have quite a bit more exposure and some collectors may know what the piece is and recognize the true value. Now if you can get two such customers, then you're on a roll ;)

Also, it may seem disconcerting that the dish is unmarked, but don't let that solely be an indication of value. Just a few days ago I sold an unmarked biscuit jar for $180 on eBay, and ended the listing early due to a special circumstance! Several other bidders then emailed and asked why I had taken it down, offering a lot more. So you never know, the biscuit jar is a special circumstance though. It was from around 1880 and the motif was highly collectible. But still, many people on eBay will bid for beauty alone, so make sure to take some good pictures.

-Lux

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 09:57:33 pm »
     I would agree with Lux here.  The problem is unmarked, which means you can offer no proof of any age you would even think it is, and to be honest in selling.   The big plus you have is it is a nice piece, and to most collectors I have come to know they don't care so much for hallmarks and history, but the looks and how well it fits into their collection.  I am learning this very quickly and those of us that hover at this site, and not only collectors but dealers and lover of the history of these items.   If I was to do ebay, I would give my first shot at $20.00 with a great Title that would bring in the lookers, if it takes off with 2 or more you may win big.  If not, next shot would be 9.99, and pray, or just clear off a nice spot on the shelf and enjoy it yourself.  The tea cup now that is another story, if condition is great, you may want to start that at $30.00, lot of teacup collectors, I sold a few of these just because they were nice handpainted, with no markings at $25.00 to $35.00, but most tea cup collectors won't care much about the spoon dish.