Author Topic: japanese antiques  (Read 2918 times)

elsa

• View Profile
japanese antiques
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
i don't know how to go about finding out if 2 items that have are antiques.  one is a cigarette holder from way back in the early years. The other is a fan it is suppose to be from the war with japan on the back it says ( made in occupied in japan isco ) if it helps  i just wonder if it is worth anything

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: japanese antiques
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:47:50 am »
I found one similar, and although this one isn't priced very high, they reflect a narrow window of time, from only 1945 - 1952 and it is a wonderful piece of history!

http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/lin/items/562496/item562496cyberattic.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »
That's a reasonable price. the reason it's marked occupied japan was to alert the american people. that it was imported from japan.

Due to the resentment felt towards the japanese people.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:25:13 pm »
I have a related question D&B Antiques, are items marked "Japan" generally post-WWII, and those marked "Nippon" pre-WWII? Or would "Japan" indicate only an exported item and "Nippon" one for use within Japan?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:27:13 pm »
The fan looks genuine....believe it or not they did make knockoffs of these.

Is this a paper fan or silk? (silk are more $$$) The wood should be light/almost brittle due to the thinness.  The ring should be made of aluminum.

There are many items that are more desirable because of the "made in occupied Japan" notation, however, that generally isn't the case for these fans.  BUT, it does help to determine the age and country of origin which does affect who will be collecting it (there are a still a lot of "feelings" about Japan in many countries/nationalities and especially associated with occurrences during that time era).

The picture used is one made for export and beauty....not one of major cultural/religious significance.

$30 would be a very good price especially in the market today.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:22 pm »
Nippon was typically. used until 1921. Nippon meaning japan. we can pick up something that is marked as japan & say ok we it was made from 1921 on ward.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:43:04 pm »
Thx D&B!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:11:35 pm »
That's really useful! I didn't realize that.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
I'm curious to know what the 'cigarette holder' is made of , elsa ...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 09:18:55 pm »
I would really like to see a few close-up of the Cig Holder,  Seem a bit small.  If you could please.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:12:42 pm »
I am interested myself...it appears more like a match holder which are harder to find.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:28 pm »
Funny all this interest in the cigarette holder! I agree with the latter posts, it is too small to be a cigarette holder, IMO. If it is, it's probably worth about $30, somewhere in that range. There is a nice, very reliable seller I buy from that is currently selling a museum collection, and it contained some nice holders for cigars/cigarettes. Pretty interesting pieces of history- smoking is a tradition in China. In the rural parts it is considers very offensive to refuse a smoke with someone- especially for a Westerner. At least that's how it was ten-twenty years ago. Haven't visited China in years, but hope to go soon :| Ah, so much to do and see!!

elsa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 01:43:28 am »
hello everyone i am sorry i was out of town for a week.  i am not sure what the cigarette holder is made of but i will find out its a cream color seams almost marble  if i had to guess there are designs on it and it does look to hold a cigarette i know it has been smoked from already as for the fan ive been told it is an original

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:45:12 am »
Also, one more notation about your fan and the cherry blossoms on it....The cherry blossom is Japan’s national flower and to this day has much meaning since it goes along with their belief in life.  Considered a very delicate flower, it blooms for a very short time (appx a week) and is then gone. When in bloom the tree is glorious/breathtaking/gleaming/resplendent in full bloom.  However, cherry blossoms are easily swept away with one strong wind - a fleeting beauty that suggests beauty, purity and transience.  This concept ties in very deeply with the fundamental teachings of Buddhism that state all life is suffering and transitory. The Japanese have long held strong to the Buddhist belief of the transitory nature of life and it is very noble to not get too attached to a particular outcome or not become emotional because it will all pass in time.

To old-time samurai, there was no greater glory than to die on the battlefield like scattered cherry blossoms. Thus, the fallen cherry blossom is not taken lightly in Japanese symbolism and can represent a warrior or feminine beauty.....life and death.

The boats represent change.  From a symbolism perspective here is the interesting story behind it:  "This is a warning to people that things are always in a state of change. Thus, you must take that into account, and not depend on the old ways, or a way that may have worked in the past but is no longer valid.
This idiom/proverb comes from the following story:
A man was traveling in a boat across a river. With him, he carried a valuable and treasured sword. Along the way, the man became overwhelmed and intoxicated by the beautiful view, and accidentally dropped his prized sword into the river. Thinking quickly, he pulled out a knife, and marked on the rail of the boat where exactly he has lost his sword.  When the boat arrived on the other side of the river, the man jumped out of the boat and searched for his sword right under where he'd made the mark. Of course, the boat had moved a great distance since he made the mark, and thus he could not find the sword.  While this man may seem foolhardy, we have to take a great lesson from this parable: Circumstances change, so one should use methods that can handle the change. In modern China, this is used in business to mean that one should not depend on old business models for a changing market.  This idiom dates back to the Spring and Autumn period (770–476 BC)."

Just thought this was interesting/fascinating.  Think of the symbols we could put on fans in American...No...bet ter not go there  :)