Author Topic: Looking for some more help.  (Read 1877 times)

Keith

• View Profile
Looking for some more help.
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »
All these items i have been showing the last couple of days, have come from my wife's family.They have given us this stuff,to try and sell.Thanks for any help with identifying,an age and value of these items.
God bless

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for some more help.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:09:50 pm »
Takahashi items are made in Japan and sold in the US - most generally in the CA area.  They have imported all kinds of pieces but you will see a large amount of trinket  (also referred to as  "tooth fairy" boxes or "ring" boxes)  The prices vary...but you are probably looking at $10.

As for the saucer...I am betting there is a cup to go with it...and the cup can make/break the value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:01 pm »
The saucer is worthless by itself, the Takahashi piece is around the ten dollar range as KC said. I have a blue Takahashi ring box, they're fairly common. As a general sort of rule, or at least I have found, Japanese porcelain is not valuable unless it is pre-early 20th. There are of course many exceptions, but usually the latter is true. (And by valuable I mean above the $50 range).

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:25:00 pm »
It looks like the one on top is Moriage Dragonware. Here are some examples selling on Ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/sis/_W0QQ_kwZ8Q20PCQ20MORIAGEQ20DRAGONWAREQ20LITHOPANEQ20DEMITASSEQ20COFFEEQ20SET
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:27:53 pm »
And a bit more on dragonware:

The following is a quote from a website that deals specifically with Dragonware. The site is http://www.dragonware.com

"Dragonware is the term used to describe porcelain items with a raised decoration which depicts an oriental dragon. These items were produced in Japan from the end of the 1800's until the mid 1900's. Over that time period, styles and materials changed dramatically."

Most Dragonware pieces are decorated with moriage which is a type of slip clay that gives the piece a three dimensional appearance.

Lithopnes or Lithophanes (both are actually acceptable) are pictures that are created with the thickness of the porcelain. The pictures show when the porcelain (almost always in the bottom of tea cups) is held up to light. Lithophanes went out of style because of their cost to produce sometime in the late 50's or early sixties and were for the most part discontinued.

Almost all Lithophane tea sets have lustrious inside finishes that are truly beautiful but that finish was created with lead and therefore you should not drink from them.See My Set Here

There are some rules that you can use to determine the quality of the lithophanes:

Quality Level 1:  Highest quality. Clear and detailed, with highlights such as lighting effects and subtle strands of hair. A real contrast between the light and dark areas.
Quality Level 2:  Good quality. Detail to face and hair, somewhat less defined than level 1 but still distinguishable. Less contrast between light and dark.
Quality Level 3:  Low quality. Can hardly tell there is a lithophane present.Minimal detail and almost no contrast between light and dark.
Quality Level 4: Poor quality. Obvious flaws in stamp. (bug eyes or gouging around the rim.

The info at the bottom came from an ebay guide to dragonware.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 06:50:06 pm »
Thanks to all ,for the help.I was just given a few more items,from my aunt.She said she searched,but could not find anything.Maybe you all can help,I'll post then in a little while.

You all have been a great help!
Thanks again and God bless,Keith
God bless