Author Topic: In need of some more inspiration! Stories of your top three finds!  (Read 23888 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: In need of some more inspiration! Stories of your top three finds!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 12:25:45 pm »
Here's an up close on those old foo dog architectural features. They are very worn from being out in the weather for many years, apparently guarding a gate or doorway somewhere. Now they have an easier life where it doesn't rain...inside my room! I like that they have little wings on them. Definitely a sign of dogs with good karma!!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 12:53:07 pm »
A little update .... my "item" just arrived .
I will uncrate it in a little while & post pics a little later on today .

Yippie skippy !

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
Great!!  Can't wait to see it.  It's the old saying.."You talked it up" :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:35 pm »
Off with the suspenders .
I'll let them speak for themselves .
(see following post for more info)

#1 of 7 , #? of 7 , and both of them together .

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2009, 04:42:34 pm »
Anyone unfamiliar with this can check out my 'art history mystery' post in this forum .

This is the first time , ever , that two of this series has been posted on-line , side-by-side .
You folks are the first to see them together (besides me , of course) .

My shocked art conservator is coming over tonight with her little kit ; she'll disassemble the unit & we'll (hopefully) discover which # this painting is , in the series .

I am looking forward to tossing a log on the campfires in France .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 05:12:40 pm by regularjoe2 »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »
Awesome! Congratulations!! :o
Antiqueaholic in recovery

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:22 pm »
regularjoe...WOW!! certainly worth the wait. I understand why you would take to the sky.  Great job!! :)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24:39 pm »
Well, you have done it again! How you managed to get yet ANOTHER one beats me! I am flaberghasted. I won't ask you to share your secrets (although it would be nice :P) but congrats to you Joe. Simply amazing... another. If I may ask just one question, did you purchase this one at the same price you got the other for ;) ? And one more question I guess... was this an eBay find :P One of these days, maybe as you're on your deathbead checking up on the forum (hopefully no time soon :) ) you're gonna have to share your success secrets with us. This just blows my mind...

And Tales, your find is amazing! Are the foo dogs attached? I have seen antique wooden ones go for $500 on even eBay! (from Chamberlain antiques). I love Chinese furniture, but haven't found too many pieces myself for a good deal. However, a good friend of mine owns a ranch with a piece of really old property on it. In the house is a small cabinet that I believe is from at least 18th century China- I sent pictures to a friend at Sotheby's who agrees that it is probably late 18th century. The owner was offering the cabinet at a garage sale for $25 about five years ago and no one bought it. I only just saw it the other day and will be getting it soon- as the house is being cleaned out in preparation for a small wedding service of all things! The cabinet was just lying tipped over on the floor, and he asked me if I wanted it. It's a really beautiful piece- I'll take some pictures once I finish repairing it (no varnish or anything like that, just cleaning it and fixing the doors and drawers). The cool aspect of the cabinet is that it's all hand carved with motifs of the countryside. A rather upscale piece of Chinese furniture I think. Can't wait to have it finished! ...Just have to wait for another book to arrive that will help with the door that has fallen off.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2009, 11:21:05 pm »
Thanks for your comments , talesof , DANTE5 & lux .

I was stunned to find it .
I was prepared to pay way more than 150X what I did .

The seller , who really should have done a little research , did not do said research .
If this is not an example (another exact) of "Let the Seller Beware" I don't know what is .

My Art Conservator is still aghast , esp. since all my involvement with the first .

I do claim credit for having a very good 'radar-network system' when it comes to finding specific items ; the rest however , I really can't explain in very rational terms .
Suffice to say that , along with a few other things - I've had a long run of dumb luck happening around me .

The really big deal to me is that this new painting goes a long way towards changing a hypothesis into a valid & evidential theory . Many questions about the validity of origin in the body of work by the artist have new evidence that is now under scrutiny ( by 'experts' , some of whom were somewhat misled by assumptive opinions ) .
My homage to Elisabeth Sonrel is to bring to light these examples of her work that had been forgotten , and have them added to the 'book' on her history .

The fact that she did no other 'limited edition' series (that have been discovered , to date) painted in her own hand says something about them .
She was 38 when she painted the original , and 30 years later , chose to paint these .

The next chapter in the story is to find out "why?" .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2009, 11:56:44 am »
Congratulations regularjoe2!  What a find!  You deserve the wait (although it was killing us) and the exciting anticipation to spring this on us. 

I imagine you did a dance around the room several times!  (Wish someone had been there with a video!)

Words can't convey enough the way I am so happy for you!  The adventure continues.......
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
The Artist would certainly, be proud to know you spent so much time in searching & bringing to light her lost Art. I admire your tenacity. it just prove's the ''expert's'' don't know it all.

Nice work!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »
Thank you very much for your encouragement , KC & D&b .

I am planning to do the dance when I find all 7 of them .

I have a couple of leads overseas for one more ... we'll see if they are like many others (dead-ends) .

In the image :the woman in the upper left is Elisabeth Sonrel (so I'm told) , in her early career & "youth".

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 pm »
Apart from just being able to find a good deal, it helps to have the capital to buy the darn thing! I recently saw a Rubricated manuscript in it's original stamped leather binding with metal clasps corners and ornamentation (circa late 1400's) sell on Ebay for $400. The seller didn't know what they had. Easily worth $10,000 (half of what I make in a year). Didn't have the money to buy it :'(.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2009, 04:03:27 pm »
Well that O.k., one can just have a much fun on $20.00, got me a 12 items, One a Spode, a little Staffordshire, and a few other cool items, I think I have $50.00 worth of stuff and priceless amount of learning with them, give me a few years And I will be buying up those one of a kind priceless pieces worth 140K, but I better know it is a 140K piece for sure, thats what that $20.00 today is really paying for.  ;D

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2009, 04:28:42 pm »
Regularjoe you' have too keep us posted. this is one of history's mystery's you now have two of seven known limited edition print's, that supposedly never existed.

The seven being the first one you ''Discovered''  you know if it had not been marked as one of seven 1/7 you may never have found a mystery to solve. the other's may never be found....
But we know you' will go on. you have my support.