Author Topic: In need of some more inspiration! Stories of your top three finds!  (Read 23890 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: In need of some more inspiration! Stories of your top three finds!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »
OK this is too wierd...

I was looking in that reader and realized it was printed by my Great-Great-Great-Grandfather, George Curtis Rand, of the printing firm George C. Rand & Avery. What are the odds of that?!!! I about fell off my chair when I saw it! George C. Rand & Avery seems to have been a large enough firm that had I looked online, I could have tracked down a book printed by him for sale online without too much difficulty, but to have one given to me by a complete stranger when I wasn't looking for one of his books? I think the odds of that must be miniscule!

To think that his book would find me, 153 years later!! Whoa!  :o

GOD I LOVE OLD STUFF!!!!  ;D

Here's his photo and a bit about the company from his obituary:

In 1842 he formed with Mr. Andrew Reid the partnership of Reid & Rand, at No. 3 Cornhill.  The two partners constituted the working force, and a single handpress, with a small quantity of type, forming the plant.  The firm shortly afterwards purchased The Sunday School Messenger, and later The Sunday School Teacher, both of the publications being sanctioned by the Methodist-Episcopal Church, and they were later on sold to the Methodist Book concern of New York City.  At the end of three years, Mr. Rand purchased Mr. Reid's interests and continued under the firm name of George C. Rand & Co.

In 1852 he secured the printing of Uncle Tom's Cabin, the great demand for which necessitated constant enlargement of his facilities -- 800,000 volumes of these were printed at this time.  The undertaking involved the running of the office night and day, requiring Mr. Rand's presence the greater portion of the time.  Although the work at this time gave him a leading position in the trade, and was undoubtedly the foundation of much of his future success, yet it was gained at the expense of his health, and the overtaxing of his energies developed a physical trouble which for years rendered him a invalid, and which in the end materially shortened his life.

In 1854 his brother-in-law, Mr. Abraham Avery, was admitted to partnership, and from that date until 1867 the imprint of the firm name, George C. Rand & Avery, was known all over New England, and, in fact, in most of the cities of the east where books were published.  The entire block, extending from No. 3 Cornhill to Dock Square, and from Cornhill to Brattle Street, a building six stories in height, was required for the business.

In 1867 the firm was changed to Rand, Avery & Frye, by the admission of Mr. Rand's nephew, Mr. Orrin F. Frye, and in 1871, following Mr. Frye's death, to Rand, Avery & Co., another nephew, Mr. John C. Rand, and a son, Mr. Avery Lewis Rand joining the firm.  At this time Mr. Rand was compelled by ill health to retire from the active management of the business.

Photos of the books ASAP!!

Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2009, 05:03:16 pm »
A little more about the printing of Uncle Tom's Cabin:

Before Mr. Avery's advent the business had, in a small way, secured the confidence of one or two book publishers.  One day in 1852 a gentleman still doing business in Boston, but then in charge of the book work of the publishing house of John P. Jewett & Co., brought in the manuscript of Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Toms' Cabin" for an estimate on a two and a five thousand edition.  Mr. Rand after figuring a minute, passed his notes to Mr. Avery, who, after a brief close scrutiny, remarked: "That's all right, George, we can swing it."

A price was given and a time for delivery; these were accepted, and the result was that for six months, night and day, these printers were kept busy with this work.  The editions followed each other with unexampled rapidity, and author, publisher and printer, reaped a golden harvest.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2009, 06:59:06 pm »
    That is really cool stuff tales,  I can see the family resemblence, LOL sorry just had too.  Actually in the writtings :P, you sure have type a book or two here on the forum, just look at this Thread 5 pages and growing.  I can see the lineage of the writtings.  I like you stuff and information and stories keep it up add lots of cool spice, and you have one really nice knocker too  ;D.  Good thing you can't slap via the net  :P , actually your a pirate please at least spare me the plank  ;D 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2009, 07:01:59 pm »
    Wow this thread is #1 on the list of replies, Talesofthesevenseas you rock, I'm happy you are aboard our Ship.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2009, 07:03:59 pm »
Gosh spoke to soon, Lux started this thread.  Lux you rock too.  Boy I'm starting to fell that plank under my foot, better just go back to my book  :-\

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2009, 09:53:14 pm »
LOL IronLord!

Here's the four books I got the reader is in the lower right corner. As mentioned, no significant value on these, just neat in a historic sense.

My great-great-great-grandpa's printing company in the front:

Thrills and excitement galore! Victorian values are taught as babies are tossed from the windows of burning houses!

Falling through the ice! See what happens when you don't listen to your mother?!

More drama...

And the little card left in the book...

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 12:35:54 pm »
Neat book, and even neater is that it was printed by your great-great-great grandfather! That was such a neat find, did you tell the seller? It almost sounds like fate... Maybe it is an encouragement to help you finish the book :P Hey, you never know, right? Too cool.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »
Yes, I did email the seller, and she said "That is so cool. Kind of creepy--who would have known that I would be giving away the books and you found them at that exact time."

The book is coming along nicely, and great-great-great-grandpa's little reader got a lot of press in the school room chapter! It was really fun having the real thing in hand to work from when I wrote it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 04:18:13 pm »
In the course of looking up information about this ancestor, I found something interesting. In 1859 he printed the self-published book of Harriet Wilson. It is titled "Our Nig; or Sketches from the Life of a Free Black". This was the first known printing in America of an African American woman author.