Author Topic: Help with a possible purchase please?  (Read 5774 times)

ayashe

• View Profile
Help with a possible purchase please?
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:23:06 am »
I am interested in purchasing this sideboard/buffet. I'm not very good with dating furniture. I was hoping someone could give me a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay for this item, and perhaps what era it dates from? It's oak with brass handles. It has "SLIGHT SCUFFS HERE AND THERE DUE TO AGE - NOTHING MAJOR" according to the person selling it. Thanks so much for any help!  :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Help with a possible purchase please?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:56:55 am »
It appears to be a refinished item (just a semi-O.K. job , @ that) , and showing misc. normal signs of wear .
I'm curious to know : 1. do you have a pic of the dovetails on the drawers? 2. How old is the seller representing it to be & asking price ? 3. are all of the glued joints 'tight' & is the lock hardware intact ? 4. is the seller saying it's american or english ?

I've got a semi-opinion @ this point , but would like a bit more info .

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 08:03:04 pm »
Well, LOL, it's on eBay *gasp* and I didn't want to mention that for risk of competition! But that's silly and doesn't matter.  :D I'm not sure about the dovetails so will ask the seller if they're willing to take a few photos for me. Their items tend to go for a bit, so I expect the price for this item will go up soon, plus it has several days left:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=120448631860

Thanks for looking, and good questions. They don't mention what era they think it's from. Thanks again. My husband hates it already... doesn't like antiques! *sigh*  ::)

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:06:17 pm »
I just sent the seller and question containing some of the questions you asked me! Hope you don't mind.  :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »
I personally would love to get it for $75 but could live with $150 tops....but that is me and I am not you.  You have to really love something....not depend on us unknowns.  At the same time....if it goes too high....there is always another special find down the road!

I am not seeing the condition of the whole item, (stability of how it is made, etc.)  So the $$$ above is reflecting it is in good shape.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:32:34 pm »
Although I don't know what the current market for oak furniture is like down under , I once again go along with KC's assesment .

At it's current price of $100 AUD (around $80 USD) , if it's 'tight' (not coming unglued) and the dovetails are hand cut , prob. not such a bad deal .

I do recall that drying , in the high seasonal temeratures , is an issue with wood antiques (that have been exposed to it , year after year ) down there .

Not really a high quality cabinet , but very utilitarian ... also not real b-ugly like the new stuff .

Seems like a low-cost & harmless way to torture the hubby too ...

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »
I would rather the spiral on the legs mirrored themselves, rather than both spinning the same way... That would indicate to me that it is newer that I would hope.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 09:35:14 pm »
... but very utilitarian ... also not real b-ugly like the new stuff .

Seems like a low-cost & harmless way to torture the hubby too ...

three reasons to buy it! ha.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 03:22:28 am »
Thanks everyone! Yes, there is always another special find down the road, this is true! One day I will buy one, ha! :D Thanks for the points about the legs, I hadn't noticed. And I am awaiting their answer about the dovetailing and not coming unglued, etc. See? These are things I never would've thought about! Glad I'm on this forum since I'm a beginner, you're all a big help. I like the buffet's functionality. I'm less of an elaborate-antique girl, which I wish my hubby would appreciate. They are some very fancy antiques out there and he doesn't grasp that I like the more muted, humble types...of antiques! But, still it is a good way to torture him!  ;)

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 12:57:39 am »
Hello again everyone, thanks for the advice. Can anyone take a stab in the dark as to how old it is? 1930's? I am never good with guessing furniture ages.

I got an answer from them in an email regarding earlier questions. "Glued joints are tight and locks are all intact." I've asked about the dovetails now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:04:53 am by ayashe »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:01:48 am »
I'm still waiting to see those dovetails , before any age guess , ayashe ....

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 07:56:07 pm »
Oh right... well, I don't think they're going to email me back. They are pretty slow with that sort of thing, and it's up to over $300 now so it's outta my budget. Thanks again for everyone's help though.  :)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
Ya win some & loose some ...
I think you won some on this one by not loosing $300+ on it !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:54 am »
Chin up...the right piece will come along that you will know in your gut is the one for you!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 12:21:51 am »
Yes, you're all right, I'm sure I'll find the one out there for me... it'll be a great day when I do.  ;) Did ya'll notice that this one went for $860.00?? That's $705 US!! I knew it would go up, maybe to $400 max... but sheesh!  :o

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120448631860&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported