Author Topic: Sewing Basket for Possible Resale? - Good idea or not?  (Read 1880 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Sewing Basket for Possible Resale? - Good idea or not?
« on: July 17, 2009, 03:59:56 pm »
I've seen sewing baskets and other sewing items go for ridiculous amounts of money. (treadle sewing machines excepted) I saw this sewing basket on legs on Craigslist and I'm intrigued, as a possible resale item. But are the larger ones on legs not as popular because of the room they take up? And this one appears to have been made from a wooden bucket. Also I'm thinking that the shipping costs on something like this would turn buyers off. Hmm... interesting. What do you guys think?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/1275232334.html
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:04:40 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Sewing Basket for Possible Resale? - Good idea or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
Disregard that. I just found several online under "firkin sewing basket" They don't go for much and this one is over-priced.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 05:05:51 pm »
Was fixing to say that these are around and top dollar go in the $30 range.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:50:01 pm »
Thank goodness you didn't use spel-chk on "firkin sewing basket" !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »
Yeah, you know one of the most valuable tools I've found is having my BlackBerry in hand, so that anytime I see something that looks interesting, I can look it up online, and know if its a good idea or not. This one just took a little longer, because I didn't know it was called a firkin sewing basket. I had go through a couple of pages looking for the search terms bucket sewing basket before I found a few of these.

Having the ol' BlackBerry on hand has saved me from making a couple of bad purchases and knowing when I was getting a bargain. You can always ask a seller to hold something for a minute while you "run to the ATM to get cash", when in reality, you're googling like mad just around the corner!!

In this case I told her I'd like to come see it, but quickly realized it wasn't of interest and politely let her know I'd decided against it.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:58:57 am »
Old sewing baskets/boxes with their original contents still intact do sometimes go for a decent price at auction. The reason being that one can oftentimes find a real “goodie” within said contents, such as: a sterling silver or advertising thimble(s), gold jewelry, a precious stone, collectible buttons, etc. 

Old sewing baskets/boxes were a handy and safe place for mothers to be "saving" such thingys. Thus, if one knows the value of one or more items in the basket/box, then they will pay an inflated price for it, then remove said content and resale said basket/box. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 03:20:15 am »
I've seen old empty ones go for high prices too, but usually they have to have some unique feature. I think there's a lot of collectors who like collecting antique sewing stuff because it is still a functional antique. I really do sew on a treadle machine and love it, plus have a couple of old ivory bodkins. Hmm... in the coming years a pair of little silver scissors would be cool too. It makes a chore into a pleasure. It is cool to be working the treadle and thinking someone heard that same clackety-clack one hundred years ago. But then again I'm funny that way!