Author Topic: Very Old Oil Painting (Pitch Lake details) on wooden board How Old? By Who?  (Read 5232 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hello everyone,
I have this very old painting I found here in Central Georgia (USA) that appears to be unsigned. It is an oil painting on a board. Measuring 32" long and 16" wide 4/16” thick (board). With 7 supporting beams on back measuring 1 ½ “ wide and ½” thick. The painting image appear pitch lake like. On the back side of board is some type of marking but I am not sure what to make of it. (included in photos) I’ve researched the type of "wood" used for the painting. It has a strong resemblance to the American Elm or Kentucky Coffee Tree. My theory is the origin would be the Plymouth Colony region. The artist characters depicted agrees with my theory(Pilgrims). The age of the painting is of a mystery to me. It appears to be ancient ;). Moving along with my theory, the artist scene depicts a bedrock coastline with rocky outcropping coast near a lighthouse. Could it have been little Benjamin Franklin? History noted in 1718 the Little Brewster Island Lighthouse, in the Boston Harbor region had a tragedy. The first lighthouse keeper and wife drowned. Benjamin Franklin wrote a ballad about the tragedy at the lighthouse called "Lighthouse Tragedy". Could it be the painting was inspired by this event circa c17--? Any thoughts on this one would be greatly appreciated. Photos attached, I can also provide many other photos of this painting.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:23:07 pm by DANTE5 »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Any more progress with the P-shop images/blacklight , DANTE5 ?
(we've been talking on the other forum)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Take a good, close look at the hardware holding the back boards in place and the hanger hardware. If it is 18th century, these should be very clearly hand forged, and the nails should be a square, homemade hand-cut type, all of them just a different from each other.

This doesn't mean it's 18th century, it could be 19th, but you can tell a whole lot from the hardware and know if its old enough that folks were making their hardware at home, or if they were buying mass-produced manufactured hardware as they did in later years.

Also keep in mind that you may see a screw or two that was added at a later date than the original hardware.

I have some hand-forged hardware on the back of an old federal mirror that has been in my family for generations. I'll post some photos for ya. Back in a flash!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
It's got modern nails , talesof .
Been trying to help find info on this one , on another forum .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
OK gotcha RegularJoe! I had some Q's on my federal mirror, so I'll put the photos I just took on another topic. Where is the other forum? I'd be interested to follow along.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
talesof - The other site is one for appraisals , no where near as active feed-back as we do here ... it's pretty much under-staffed (info & appraisal-wise) , but does have a free 'for sale' section for folks .
It's : instappraisal.com .

It is a community-supported/driven free site .

I steer folks from that forum to come here with their questions (esp. when they don't get responses there) , since I think this one is tip-top .

cogar

• View Profile
I don’t ever remember seeing a “primitive” painting on a board with “cropped” corners and a “frame” painted around the picture such as that.

Looking at the back of the board I would say that it was done by a 20th century artist. The wood appears to be sanded with a finish applied and the patina of the wood …… just doesn’t look right.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
I agree with Cogar the painting appears 1920's or there about's there were lot's of painters in that time frame that were known to have painted on wood.

It would require and expert to Attribute the painting to a known artist. some who were working. were Grant steuart curry  Thomas Hart Benton Grant wood.  and the possibility of a very good amateur.

Anything on the paper Label ?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
This one has struck me as an odd-ball , since I first saw it .

Although it seems like something was 'needed' to balance the composition , the distorted perspective of the sailboat & its line/paint texture just does not fit the style of the rest of the painting .
Perhaps it was an after-thought , or added by someone else ?

As to the inspiration for it , who knows ?

The age of the nails , to me , is a bit of a give-away too .
I'm of the opinion , based on feed-back from DANTE5 & the provided images , that it's 20th century for sure .
I am waiting to see if photo-shop manipulation reveals the number '62 .

DANTE5

• View Profile
Sorry for slow response.  I've been working on that mark image in photo shop. Thanks for your comments.  Regularjoe, because of you I came over to this forum. THANK YOU!! ;)

I have more pictures , to include pictures of the tool ware and other close ups.  Regularjoe, Black light? not yet.  New photos of mark on back included in this post.

I agree with regularjoe that the nails appear from modern mfg, but could be late 19th century. A spiker, wire nail. (see photos)

Cogar, Primitive is a great description.  I've included the nail close up for your review.  Also it appears some type of varnish was used, pretty heavy in some areas on the back.

I included a larger image which I hope will give you a better view.

DANTE5

• View Profile
Here are some updated images of the mark on the back.

DANTE5

• View Profile
D & B Antiques, I am not sure of the term "paper mark"

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
I can't help thinking it looks like "Pamela" but it  could be a surname like Panola, Danola... boy that is a tough one!

DANTE5

• View Profile
D & B Antiques....correct ion Paper Label???

DANTE5

• View Profile
talesof...my first thought was that the first letter could be a "B".  Regularjoe thought maybe Randal?????  I continue to see 62 on the end.

I wasn't sure what to make of the mark.  I even thought that it could be some sort of bleeding (if you would) from a tool used on the back for the tool ware? Then once I attempted to magnify the image it took on a different look.