Author Topic: Questions about what appears to be a portable stove.  (Read 2763 times)

awmartin

• View Profile
Questions about what appears to be a portable stove.
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:07:08 pm »
Hello everyone, I have an interesting item that I purchased earlier today at a flea market, and am wondering if I can get some help in trying to date the item. I found what appeared to be a french lunchbox made entirely of copper, but upon closer inspection I had realized that it appeared to be some sort of portable stove. I have tried to research the company ( whose marking is on the back) and its approximate age, but I was not able to discover anything about it, except for some literal translations. 

On the front of the box it says:

La Frileuse - “Sensitive to the cold”
   Marque depose  - “Registered trademark”
   Jechauffe sans danger  - “Caution when hot”

On the top of the box it says:

Chauffeuse Cavaille - ?
   Brevete S.C.D.C. 25277 - “Patent 25277”
   La frileuse - ?

Also, I have not cleaned it because I thought that it looks more authentic with the soot. Do you recommend that I clean it? If so, how do you recommend is the best way to remove the patina that has formed on the front of it?

Thank you, and if you have any questions I can post more pictures or answer any questions that you may have.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about what appears to be a portable stove.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:35 pm »
A chauffeuse is a French foot warmer.  It had hot coals put into it to help keep the feet warm and were very much in style in the late 1800's to early 1900's.

People would take these with them to work and even church!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:40:50 pm »
Thank you KC for the reply. This does resemble a chauffeuse, although this particular one is heated by kerosene and not coals. Having said that, do you still think that this can be some sort of warmer, or possibly a heater/stove.

Thanks Again

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 02:49:50 pm »
I remember a friend who had little glove warmers that she was still using in the 1970's, that ran on some kind of kerosene or oil of some sort. They were small and would fit in your mittens. Probably dangerous as all heck too! But I don't think kerosene would exclude it from being a footwarmer.

I think it can be safely cleaned with ordinary copper cleaner and that it doesn't affect the value, but someone with more experience than me should respond to that. Copper is notoriously hard to keep clean.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »
What are the dimensions?

I think having kerosene makes it newer....

If you google french chauffeuse then hit images you will be surprised at the different sizes/shapes.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

awmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:45:11 pm »
The dimensions are  8 x 6 x 2.5  inches, and it weighs 2 pounds.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:06:46 pm by awmartin »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »
Not a gamblin person...but all bets are still on foot warmer!!!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:27 am »
KC, I agree, a foot warmer.

Such footwarmers and handwarmers are quite "safe" for use, it is the filling of them with the kerosene, lighter fluid, Coleman Fuel, etc. that poses the danger.

When "lit", they do not burn with a "flame" ..... but with a "glow". One can readily buy "brand new" handwarmers and kerosene "heaters" just about everywhere. A kerosene lamp and a "heater" are 2 great things to have around when it is cold outside and your electrical power goes off.

awmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:33:43 am »
Thank you very much for all of the replies. Indeed this is a foot warmer, KC you were correct all along. Someone on a different forum guided me to a website that explained this as being a Napoleonic III foot warmer that was heated with "hot alcohol". 

Here is the link to the page:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aicim.be%2Fmain%2Ffr%2Ffiche.php%3Ffrom%3Dmemb%26provider%3DMDF%26id%3D39777&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Thanks again for the replies.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:31 pm »
awmartin, thanks for the information.  Great that site was translated and had the same foot warmer as yours.