Author Topic: Any help would be greatly appreciated on this Bell  (Read 5601 times)

Kaytbell

• View Profile
Any help would be greatly appreciated on this Bell
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:44:25 pm »
I have searched high and low for information on this bell, but can't seem to find anything. I am new at this, so any help would be great.  I bought this bell at auction in Ellicott City, MD for .50.  It is very heavy.  I cleaned it up as much as possible and found the markings on the side, but have no idea what they represent. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:24:11 pm by Kaytbell »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated on this Bell
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:03:56 am »
I have no clue if it's original or a repro.  I can say, I think, it's in the style of an Asian either Hindu or Budist bell.  If it's bronze, there's no way you can go wrong with what you paid.  Looks like it would make an interesting wind chime.

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:53:21 am »
I am clueless as well. I thought it looked like brass but if it's very heavy, perhaps it's not. The touchmarks are interesting. Very lovely in any case.  :)

Actually was just checking out random auctions on ebay and found this auction for Swiss cow bells. None of them look exactly like yours but similar in shape and style. Perhaps yours could be a cow bell? Just thinking out loud...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-Collection-x-10-Swiss-Brass-Cow-bells-c-1960_W0QQitemZ380139230582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item5882105576&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Does yours sound like a cow bell or does it have a pleasant *ding* to it?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:16:15 am by ayashe »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:44:59 am »
I Agree with Railman it's a good buy' those symbols look to be chinese pictograph.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:46:57 am »
Kaytbell, what are its dimensions?

Knowing its size makes the "guessing" a little easier.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:11:30 am »
To me , this appears to be a type of modern "futaku' (hanging bells) , perhaps from Japan , but not sure/unfamiliar with/about the foundry mark .
At .50 , not a bad buy !

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:24:38 pm »
I just showed the symbols and bell to a chinese buddist friend of mine.  He couldn't offer much information.  but did say not a religious bell at least for buddist.  Went on the tell me a buch of stuff, to much to write.  He has seen symbols like this before but was unsure of amy maeaning.  He thinks that it is a calling bell of some sort.  Sorry not much but thought I would offer it anyway

Kaytbell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
I am very appreciative of all the help.  Answers to your questions.  The dimensions are:   (10 1/2 inches round), (10 inches long with stem), (4 1/2 inches long without stem), and (stem is 4 1/2 inches); not including ring at top.  As for how it sounds, it is definitely not a cowbell sound, but more of a pleasant sounding "ding".  Again, it is very heavy and with my limited knowledge, I would guess it might be bronze.  So how does one go about finding the worth of this bell?  Thanks again...you guys are great!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 04:21:26 am »
Kaytbell, given its size, the hanging stem and it clapper with a projection for one to grasp to ring it, …… I will agree with Ironlord, ……. it is “calling” or “signalling” bell, …… like a door bell.

And yes, it is almost assuredly made of bronze, to wit:

Bell Bronze is the purest type of bronze in the bronze family.  There is no contamination from other metals in the alloy.  This is the reason that a bronze bell gives you such perfect tone and clarity.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:40:58 am »
I tend to believe that you need to look at India.  Do agree that it is a "calling" bell.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:02 am »
Wow ...that's a bigun' !
 I'm with ironlord , cogar & KC ( now that I know it's size ) about the 'calling - bell' opinions .
Still checking on that foundry mark , nothing new yet .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:37:50 am by regularjoe2 »

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:53 am »
A good mystery for .50 cents, great auction you went to! As to the bell, I know nothing about bells that are not antiquities. I have a few Khmer bells, and a few Liao Dynasty bells, but nothing modern. It does look like a calling bell, and if so, I think it is definitely not a modern piece. There are other indications of that as well, but does anyone know when these would have been used?

As to value, there are people who solely collect bells, and are willing to pay some $$ for a nice one. Since I don't know anything about your bell, I might say that $50, once identified, is a price I have seen larger bells go for. But then again, I have seen them go for over $300, so who knows! Not me :P

Kaytbell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:42:30 pm »
I've done a bit of reading, via internet, and to say the least, I never knew bells held so much meaning throughout the world.  Anyway, to keep it simple, I did find something that might help identify its origins, but I would need some help applying it to my bell.  Listed below is the info. I thought relevant to our subject.  There was so much to read, but almost impossible to weed through what applied to my bell.....pictures were hard to come by.  Thanks again, for all the input.

"Bell shapes vary by country and culture. The sides can be straight, convex, concave, or hemispherical. East Asian bells tend to be barrel-shaped while Western bells are tulip-shaped with a bulge near the rim. Chinese bells often have lotus-shaped rims. Bells of Western cultures are generally struck by an interior metal striker as the bell swings back and forth. Asian bells are non-swinging and are usually struck manually on the outside with a wooden item".

Kaytbell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
Hey, just wondering, RegularJoe if you happen to have found some info. on the foundry mark.  Does anyone happen to know of a website or business that would do an official appraisal on this bell?  As always, thanks for any further help.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:46:57 pm »
Ktbell - I'll post something as soon as I find something .

I am hip-deep in hunting down & negotiating for stuff for folks right now , so my free time is very , very limited this week .

I expect the hunting/buying expedition to be complete next week & I can continue my gratis research (such as it is) here then .
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:52:00 pm by regularjoe2 »