Author Topic: Old print or just a common reproduction?  (Read 2027 times)

recreel

• View Profile
Old print or just a common reproduction?
« on: July 21, 2009, 02:08:24 pm »
My grandmother had a picture hanging over her fireplace for as long as I could remember. I know that she had it way before I was born. I took it about 10 years ago and had it customed framed because it was in much need of repair. the paper was deteriorating so bad that some of the edges just crumbled with handling. I never could see the artist name- think it was on an edge that was missing.
Anyway, I have always been curious about the picture. I found it on e-bay-(picture attached) but the measurements are way off. My picture is very long at least 48 inches long if not more and about 20 to 28 inches wide. The picture attached measures only 16 by 20. the saler has it listed as "The Victorian Lady Asleep with Cherubs in a Dream". Somehow I don't think that is the actual title of the picture and it doesn't reference the artists name.
has anyone seen this pix before? After researching it is obvious that this was a popular subject for paintings but from what time era and where is the original painting?   

ayashe

• View Profile
Re: Old print or just a common reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:25:51 am »
What a lovely picture. I'm afraid I don't know the title or the name of the artist, but I would guess that the original would've been painted in the 1920's or 30's. Will try to find more info.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:06 am »
I wish I could help as well..but can't.  I know I have seen this print before over the years.  Appears to be the style that was popular in the 50 - 70's range.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19:33 am »
This one has often been confused with : "Lady (or 'Woman') Dreaming of Her Wedding" by Miller .

Usually depicts several cherubs with sort of 'wedding-themed' items , esp. one cherub with a wedding ring .

The theme has been copied/repeated by several artists .

recreel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:21 pm »
The one regularjoe referenced is the one I keep finding the most. Of course the cherubs are more popular than I thought. I will try to get over to my dad's and take a picture of the one I have. I will also ask him if he remembers how long she had it and where she might have gotten it from. Outside of the one on e-bay, I have not been able to find it anywhere else. Seems to be the story with my "antiques".  :) Thanks everyone.   

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »
Looking at the furnishing's present in the picture. there saying 1860's or 70's. but there again there is the problem of repeat printing's.

ayashe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:32:02 am »
It does seem to have a romantic theme, like Victorian with the furnishings, etc. But I still think yours is from the 1920's, just by the style of the woman's hair and face. I have seen the other one, "Dreaming of her wedding" also. Yours might be a 'modern' adaptation. It's too bad there aren't more examples of yours out there because I like it better!  ;)

recreel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:49:48 am »
Even though my grandmothers print was old and in "bad" shape the colors are still very virbrant, especially the blue. It will bring out the romantic in you. As a child I used to stare at this picture. Of course that was only when we were actually allowed to go into my grandmothers formal living room. It was off limits except at Christmas and Thanksgiving.
I am going to keep looking. Like everything else, my curiosity is peeked by the fact that I can't find it anywhere ???