Author Topic: Information about an old paperweight not made out of glass  (Read 1122 times)

cindyv11

• View Profile
Information about an old paperweight not made out of glass
« on: July 22, 2009, 06:06:40 am »
Does anyone know about old paperweights? My mom bought this paperweight at yard sale 20 years ago.  An old couple had passed away and the kids were selling everything.  My mom said it looked really old then.  I have searched for hours trying to find information about it and never find anything.  Since it is not glass I searched for Dome shaped, resin, and cactus thorn.  At least I think the thorn is from a cactus.   Are these the proper terms to base a search on.  It is really a beautiful paperweight even though the pictures don't make it look like it!  The resin is all clear and then there seems to be 1/4 inch of black on the bottom that was covered with green felt that is worn off.  Where  would a paperweight with felt on the bottom be signed by an artist?  Thanks for any help!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Information about an old paperweight not made out of glass
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:19 am »
Perhaps adding/using the term 'Lucite" to your searching might reveal more items like yours , cindyv .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Information about an old paperweight not made out of glass
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:14:15 am »
It is really hard to try and determine the age of an item in lucite/resin/epoxy/cold casting, especially with the type of item that is preserved in your paperweight.  Resin castings became popular in the 50's and were able to be made by amateurs and these days practically anyone. 

Wish I could help more....best of luck on your hunt.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!