Author Topic: I need help determing what this item was used for and its value!  (Read 3311 times)

Bumbul25

• View Profile
I need help determing what this item was used for and its value.  On the back there is two letters "D.D", any opinion would help.  Thank you in advance. :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: I need help determing what this item was used for and its value!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:40:50 pm »
Many years ago I use to have something like this that I used as a ashtray, except it didn't have a pedestal.  What is the pedestal made of, looks like some kind of metal, or is it just glass and I need glasses now  ::).   My first impression is this falls into the ever growing candy dish category, but glass is not my thing yet, the only book I have has nothing like this.  Sorry this is probably of little help, but figured I would give what I got  8).

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:30:51 pm »
Could fit into the 'compote' or 'footed compote' catagory .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »
Thank Regular joe now I have to show my ignorance a bit.  Compote is a desert dish or so I thought, had to go look at the online images and half of what I saw I would call candydish  ???.  Now I'm really confused, gosh I thought porcelain was hard, now glassware just make me head spin a bit.  Is there any rules to candydish or compote?  help a poor desperate confused want to be antiquer out a bit  :D

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:47 pm »
ironlord ... all we have to do is use the 'bon-bon' word now ...

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 09:01:26 pm »
Lol, that's it, it's a bon bon dish.  :D  :D  :D

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:17:04 am »
Thank you ironlord1963 and reglarjoe2 for your help!  I thought this was an ashtray but after I read the replies, I searched on the web and found bon bon dishes similiar to this one.  But this one has a glass top, I'm not sure what the bottom material is made out of (I know its not silver).  The workmanship on this item is really strange there is an bolt in the middle of the bottom that hold it in place (I will include a picture with this post).  Do you think it is an antique or if it has any value? Any info on the D.D. engraving on the bottom? Thank you once again!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:32 am »
Could this be a Marriage of two pieces aftermarket?.   Once you mentioned the bolt and remembering a ashtray like this years ago, then looking at the pics.  I would have to say this looks like a marriage.  I did notice that the base is a little off center in it mounting.  Maybe look at the bottom of the glass to see if there is any sign of wear, from before it was place on the pedastal.  As for it being a Bon Bon dish well that is just regular joe poking fun at me from a earlier post, cause I think all glassware is a bon Bon dish now  ;D

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:44 am »
the ever growing candy dish category.

LOL, I tend to call all unidentified ornamented bowls candy dishes

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 02:31:54 pm »
Over the past 20 - 25 years quite a few of these items have been manufactured that uses a metal base and a glass topping.  They usually have an "aged" look, even tho they are not really aged (as one like myself and some others on this site would consider).

They are usually just for pretty/display purposes or for a dry food (like candy/bonbons) because of the bolt in the center.  Unfortunately, if it is one that was made in an earlier time, the glass isn't always food safe.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Bumbul25

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:04:45 pm »
Thank you all for you help! :)