Author Topic: Blue China plates with Massachusettes houses, monuments, history's on back.  (Read 2264 times)

conundrum1

• View Profile
I have 8 all blue china/antique plates.  All of them have intricately designed pictures of monuments, houses etc....from the early days of Massachusettes.
The back of each plates is engraved/indented with the word "ANTONS" and "12-23".
Some of these plates have limited writing on the back......Example:

1: Bartrams House
2:The Old Oak, Billerica Massachusettes, An old tree when the town was incorporated in 1655
3: Sabba-Day House, Billerica Massachusettes, built in 1768 by John Baldwin John Patten & others proprietors for the purpose of convening their families on Sundays.
4: Christ Church
5: Soldiers Monument, 1861-1865, dedicated Oct 8, 1873, Billerica, heroes, living or dead loyal to country, they gave themselves for Liberty & Union

These Plates have been in the family at least 50 years.......
Any idea of history behind them, possible value?

Thanks

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile

Since you didn't post a picture does it look like this?  3rd one down http://www.legendsofthefallantiques.com/page/124064206

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
You know I ran a search  on "Antons" and came up with no mark like that. Is it possible it is something else or that it is hard to read? Or is it pretty clear? Anything else on the backs beside the number?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Is there any chance your plate is "Minton" and not "Antons"? Take a look at this one of Bartram's House:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/minton-plate-john-bartram-botanist

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
There is an Anton china - predominantly in Europe - with daintier pieces (flowers) - very rare

Chances are it is Minton.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Jon Anton staffordshire England.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Ah.. I see. I was looking for Antons with an S, not Anton, since that was what was in the post.

conundrum1

• View Profile
Thanks for the help on the identifier of blue plates.  The pictures and links you sent me, are very, very similiar in nature.  I have checked the "indented" stamp/etching on back of plates....It definately begins with an "A", however  the last letter is either an "E" or "B" or "S".  A bit out of focus/sloppy.
As I stated, these are all depictions of "Billerica" Mass........with exception of Bartram House.  Any suggestions on how I define history, date of make, etc?
I am very greatful for your input so far....please respond.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Yes, post the pics for all to see!