Author Topic: A few flea market items,maybe someone can tell me something about them.  (Read 8799 times)

Keith

• View Profile
These are a few things that i picked up today,at the local flea market.The first is a carved Donkey,it's 4'' long,3 3/4'' to the top of the ears,and the weight is 12oz,it has no markings.Does anyone know what type of material this is,and maybe about how old it is?
The next is a cup and plate,that has Made in Occupied Japan.The gold trim is not worn to bad,and there are no chips or cracks.
God bless

Keith

• View Profile
These are the next two items.The first is a small vase.It is 6 1/4'' tall and 2 1/4'' across the top.
The last is a pewter wine cup that is in rough shape,but I liked it and it was cheap.I did not pay much for any of these.

Thanks for any help,God bless,Keith
God bless

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Thank you Keith you just gave me a piece to a puzzle, I was just looking at tonight,  You nice blue cup, I have a teapot with just that hallmark except mine does not say UCAGCO on it.  Sorry just got excited a bit, I go back and look at the rest now   ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
A couple of fine finds you have there.

1.  Well not so sure about the history of these items, but see them all the time have a couple of Horse bookends made of these carved stone items, if I was to comment on this it would be Mexican tourist trap item, but I think these was really in vogue in the 60's and 70's

2.  Now the Tea cup Nice, at least I have a thing for teacups now, Wonderful Color and would be a 5 on the collector list,  Not sure about the hallmark but like I said earlier I will be looking for this after I'm done here.  However the biggest thing going for this cup is the Occupied Japan mark.  This little cup has lots of collectors looking for it, top if off with the wonderful blue color.  You just might get $50.00 for that cup, but I would say $35.00 to $40.00 without knowing about the hallmark.  I really like that cup.  Oh yea plus it has a unique shape on the saucer that may get you a couple more bucks.

3.   Not sure I can say much about the vase, kinda cool looking stoneware Vase, It has lots of character, but will eat lots of crow if I comment too much

4.   Now here is a piece of fine pewter.    Homan was started in 1847 by Henery Homan and Asa F. Flagg under the name Homan & Co.  Some piece are marked flagg and Homan, This is a uncommon Hallmark for them, bingo #1.  They made britannia ware until Flagg died in 1854, by 1864 they started to Electroplate Silver and phase out it britannia ware. And was out of Business in 1941.  So what I am reading and looking at is a possible really cool item.  If I'm reading my books right that would place this item in the pre 1850's  with a hallmark that is uncommon.  I may be eating some crow on this post but I see something really special here.

Now I need to go look into that hallmark.

Good Job

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Just took a peak at the hallmark on that cup, Seems like there are lots of items by this Manufacture, rather I believe that are the import company that brought these items to the states, I did find a cup just like your on ebay right now for $1.99 with just over a day left and looking at completed post I see lots with no bids and really low prices.  But I see these items in thrift store with a $25.00 tag on them, so much for my Teapot being any thing cool  ;D.
Still think it is a nice cup and may just have to buy the one on Ebay  :D.

Keith

• View Profile
Thanks ironlord,for the replies.To be honest i purchased this stuff,just because i liked the way they looked,and i hoped i could make just a couple of dollars,by reselling some of it.The most i gave for any item was for the cup and saucer $8.00.The bottom of the saucer,has the same hallmark,as the cup.What type of stone do you think the Donkey is made of?
Thanks in advance,for anymore help,from anyone
God bless,Keith
God bless

regularjoe2

• View Profile
I'd agree with ironlord on the donkey .
Looks like dyed alabaster .

The pewter is your best find , in my 2 cents worth .

ironlord1963

• View Profile
My first impression is marble, kinda like my horses, but not a geologist at all and would call it pretty Rock  ;D.  Sorry all I can do is guess

I think you need to look much closer at the Pewter piece, that may just be a score.

Keith

• View Profile
OK,I looked till 12:00 mid,and was up looking again at 4:30 AM this morning.You guys have gotten my curiosity up,and weather it is worth anything or not,it would sure be interesting to know about when it was made.I have always had trouble with searching items,maybe I'm not doing something right,or just don't know how to use the computer.Maybe someone will come up with something else.

Thanks,and God bless,Keith

What type of cleaning,if any should I do,on the pewter item.
God bless

ironlord1963

• View Profile
I got my information in my Schiffer book and will look at a few other books tonight after work for you.  Something that is not so common or even rare may have little on the net for information.  From what I'm reading you have a mid 19th century piece of pewter, made by a not so common maker, with a hallmark that is even more uncommon.  I will have to do some cross reference in my books and see if I can dig out some more for you.  Look for Homan in the search, Flagg was the number 2 man per say, Homan Manufacturing, or Homan Silver co. may give you some leads.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
How exciting on the pewter goblet! I'm crossing my fingers for you Kieth! Looks like you might have something really cool there!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Keith

• View Profile
Thanks tales,
Thanks ironlord,it is obvious that you have put some time in trying to help me with this.I have searched,and will continue to search,but so far have come up empty.Thanks again,I will be thinking of this piece until i find out something,weather it be something good or worthless.

Thanks to all for the help,god bless,Keith
God bless

luxetveritas

• View Profile
I think you scored on the goblet as well. I did a quick search on eBay completed listings (anyone can use the feature as long as you have an eBay account Keith) and found a Flagg and Homan pewter teapot that was listed for $40. Not sure if it was old as your piece though. Good luck!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
     O.k. I snoop around a bit and found just a tad bit more info.  I have seem to misplaced my book on American Pewter, but little is mentioned in my Silverplate and silver books, with the exception of what is written in my "Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacters page 110, maybe you library has a copy if you need to read it.  I did find a couple of forum and questions about Flagg and Homan, but they all seem to be quoting the same book I have almost word for word.  I did also find a few items for sale out there also, most are not showing me their hallmark.  I'm not trying to get your hopes up for I'm am a student here, but these are the facts that leads me to my conclusion.

1.  Company began in 1847 manufacturing pewter or britannia ware, Flagg was so devoted to his craft he was nicknamed "Pewter" Flagg

2.   "Under the firm name of Homan & Co. (pieces are also found marked Flagg & Homan)"
              This says to me that your mark may be Less common, and we see Flagg before Homan remember his devotion and nickname.  Not sure what this mean exactly but maybe something.

3.    " they made britannia ware until Flagg's retirement in 1854."   Now if I read this right then would this not sound like you have a piece made sometime between 1847 and 1854.    Keep in mind it was common to contiunue using hallmarks, but this book says  they stop making pewter all together.
I did find reference to many seller say early 1900 pewter in reference to Falgg and Homan.  Just referenceing the available information before me.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
     So here I see a company that got into pewter late, Pewter going out when silverplate and Nickle silver came into fashion.  Then in the days of the silverplate craze, they joined in, one good thing to not they was not bought up by International or Oneida.  Which makes the item a bit more scarce  if we are talking Silverplate, but here we have pewter made under this small or med size firm.  This of course causes two thing to happen.  First yes it makes the item a bit rare, but something that is rare has a smaller collector base,  Item like this has to target the serious collector  which can keep the price very moderate to low based on condition, these serious collectors are searching for the best example they can acquire.  I did find various items on the net and the prices seem a bit all over, So I think the basic collector and Antiquer has a bit of a hard time establishing a value, not uncommon with Items of what this appears to be. 
     I my opinion the answer is in the hallmark and does this or does it not establish the mid 19th century.  If you find that then you have some ideal of age.  Which keep in mind that would make it late pewter age item.  Then when you sell it to someone intrested make you let them know what you know, and things like Flagg was nickname "Pewter" and his name is before Homan can get you a few dollars more, and this is not cheating but giving them the story.  Find a copy of Schiffer Ency of American Silver Manu and you can shine light on the item when someone is intrested in buying.