Author Topic: Does anyone know what this item is or any history on it??  (Read 4098 times)

mybren99

• View Profile
Does anyone know what this item is or any history on it??
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:48:48 am »
Hi,
I have had this piece for a long time but have never had any idea what it was used for.  If anyone had any ideas I would appreciate it.  The top opens up as shown in the picture, and there is mirror in the the bottomside of the lid.  It is 50 inches tall and 18 inches wide and there are 18 drawers.  As shown in one of the pictures, there is a hole in the bottom of the drawer, and every drawer has the same hole.  There is glass in the drawer fronts.  Also, each drawer is an independent section, meaning if you picked it up in the middle, it would be divided where picked up.  There is not one whole exterior that houses all the drawers.  Could it be some kind of a map chest or spool cabinet??  Thanks so much in advance.       (the green felt showing was just put there to protect the drawer, not permanent)
Susan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:03:50 am by mybren99 »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what this item is or any history on it??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:21:10 am »
Oh, “WOW”, beautiful piece, …. I luv it.  ;D ;D  Should be worth a bunch to someone renovating the décor of an old office setting.

Yes, my guess is that it is a “stacked” map/document chest for use in a Surveyor’s office or Public Records office. The “hole” in each drawer is the “clue” to its purpose. It is made on the same principle as the “stacked” bookcases so one could purchase as many “sections” as they required or as they required additional ones.

I’m not sure of the purpose of the “glass top” of the top section or the “mirrored” underside of its lid, but said glass surface would be a great surface for viewing and/or marking on said maps or documents.

Anyway, the drawers were most probably designed to hold a specific size map (document) that would “just fit” inside them, and thus to remove one of many said maps from the drawer one would “push their finger(s)” up from the bottom and through the hole, lifting said maps up so that one could grasp hold of them with the other hand to remove one or more of them.

Git dat junk outta dem drawers un clean/shine dat sucker up with some Old English furniture polish. ;) ;)

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:40:30 am »
I really like the brass handles.  And, they're all there!  Wood appears to be mahogany?  Could also be a cabinet for a jeweler?  I have my doubts about maps or documents with a felt liner (at least in the top drawer) and the size of the drawers.  If it's for documents, I've never seen one configured in that design.  I would think a piece made that well would have a manufacturer's tag of some sort.  It's a unique piece and probably very rare.  My curosity is aroused!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:48:50 am by railman44 »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:51:32 am »
Nice stacking cabinet .
First one I've seen with the mirror unit made-to-fit .

I've seen these used for maps , sepia 'blueprints' , watercolor paintings/lithographs , and flat papers of all sorts .... and in later days (prob not designed for it , but oh well..) for artifact storage/display .

My guess is that the mirror was used to reflect light on a document being referenced ( although I suspect that it was also used as a reflector for discussions [think of pre-power-point presentation] and such ) .

Is there any indication of manufacturer on the cabinets ?
Are the drawers constructed by tounge & groove , or are there dovetails also ?

The hole cut in the drawer , in your image , appears to be the work of a 'wood butcher' , not in keeping with the quality of the work on the rest of your cabinet .

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:00:51 am by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:02 am »
Gorgeous cabinet!

Agreeing with the stacking document cabinet (my sister has 2 similar).  The hole in the bottom is true - used to push up the documents so that you can "grab" them because they are cut to fit the drawers perfectly.

Have seen them used for music sheets in fine old homes as well.

What a keeper!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mybren99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:08:51 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses!  I really got some insight.  I didn't see any manufacturers mark but I am going to look closer and see if I missed something.  Also going to check out the construction and how the drawer are put together.  I was thinking of selling it but now I'm not so sure.  Someone offered me $250 for it.  Does anyone have any idea if that's a good price to consider??   Thanks again!  Susan

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:51:28 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses!  I really got some insight.  I didn't see any manufacturers mark but I am going to look closer and see if I missed something.  Also going to check out the construction and how the drawer are put together.  I was thinking of selling it but now I'm not so sure.  Someone offered me $250 for it.  Does anyone have any idea if that's a good price to consider??   Thanks again!  Susan
Although it's very specific in it's use/design, I think $250 would be a steal for someone. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:48:48 am »
I have to disagree with the map/blueprint theory. Typically these blueprint cabinets hold "D" or "E" size sheets, 22"x34" or 34"x44". Large size sheets are designed so that they fold down into "A" size, 8.5"x 11" which then would go into hanging folders, not into drawers. The standard sheet sizes run like this:
A size = 8.5x11
B size = 11x17
C size = 17x22
D size = 22x34
E size = 34x44
(I used to be a drafter and taught drafting for nearly ten years.)

To me, the cabinet looks more like something that would have been in a jewelry store, especailly with the mirror on top. Cartographers (map makers) and drafters/designers wouldn't be checking themselves in the mirror. But perhaps it was filled with jewelry samples? That would be my guess.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:41 am »
Mybren99 how did you come across this cabinet?

Talesof...I thought the same also....but jewelers typically don't have holes in their drawers.  The lined drawer does seem more of a delicate nature - but from what I can see it is only one that is lined. 

I had seen very nice Victorian spool and ribbon drawer cabinets that this could be a nicer one!  As I mentioned earlier, I have seen people use these for sheet music in elegant and wealthy older southern homes!

For all we know this could have been in a Justice of the Peace's office in a small town that had all the important papers, simple certificates and elegant ones in the drawers with rings in the top!  It could have been a collectors of litho's or etchings and have a collection of pens/wells in the top (which my sister does have).  Or even a dental office!

Which ever, it is a beautiful piece that would be a "STEAL" if you sold if for $250.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mybren99

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 11:38:13 am »
Thanks for all the replies! 

I purchased this about 1990 in a very small antique shop in upstate NY.  It was actually an older man's garage.  I paid somewhere around $300 for it at the time.  Any lining showing in the drawers I put there just to protect it when I stored odds and ends in it.  I just laid some felt pieces in.  I'd love to find out what it's worth now that I have some ideas as to what it may have been used for.  Not sure if I still want to sell it, but knowing it's value would be helpful.  Does anyone know how I would go about getting a value on it?  I've never done that and not sure how to go about it.

Thanks again so much!!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:34 am »
these cabinets were popular from about 1875 to 1910 or so. they were known as stackables, the hole should have been a locking system. If I had a willing buyer at $250.00 Dollars I would take it.

May be Tim will stop in and suggest, it's a printers cabinet.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:59:18 am »
My guess is the cutouts in the bottom of the drawers are for a wooden tray that would have fit in each drawer.  This tray could have been very easily partitioned for small parts or rings or whatever.  By pushing up through the opening, the tray would be easily removed.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 04:17:48 pm »
Other suggestions might be - look for wear marks inside the drawers from fitted trays being removed/replaced often ; also drilled holes that may have formerly been used for hardware .
Look for residues of ink , paint , chips , jewlers rouge & such inside the corners & surfaces of the drawers .

Looks like we all agree on the obvious anyways : stackable .