Author Topic: cedar chest  (Read 1378 times)

deisel69

• View Profile
cedar chest
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »
can anybody help with value??yes i am a newbie!! thanks for all the replies that i have received...

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: cedar chest
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
I don't know about everybody else here , but I've been seeing a flood of cedar chests 'on the market' for about 2 months ; most of them have been from the 40's thru the 80's .
I don't think that it's the greatest time to be selling one .

Cedar chests are practical for storing certain types of fabrics , but they've fallen out of vouge with many buyers/owners in the region where I live .

(congrats on getting your image posted , deisel69)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:33 am »
Cedar chests were the great gift to give a young lady...otherwise called her Hope Chest.  Hopes for her future....to collect her items for marriage and later to hold memories of it.

When women started stepping out of the homemaker mindset for all and marriages started occurring at a later age in the US....these started losing popularity.  Many people have inherited these treasure items from their families.  The average chest can sell from $25 - $200 these days depending upon the maker/handiwork/demand in the area one is selling.  There are, however, some very valuable ones...but unfortunately this brand isn't one of those.

They are still great for storing clothing (wool) and items of sentimental value - as well as being sentimental items themselves.

The market has been seeing a greater influx of chests over the past couple of years due to the lack of interest/need of them in the younger generation. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:46:58 am »
You know, I still think hope chests are a nice tradition. Even if it isn't PC to assume a young girl will marry, I had a "hope drawer" when I was in my teens, where I started collecting things for my first apartment. I think a hope chest and a first item like towels or dishes is still a great gift for a teenage daughter!
Antiqueaholic in recovery