Author Topic: What's a cobbled old lamp really worth?  (Read 3050 times)

railman44

• View Profile
What's a cobbled old lamp really worth?
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:53:39 pm »
I have several that I "assembled".  Very old bases and shades but didn't come that way.  Some are old bases with newer leaded glass shades.  Beautiful Bradley & Hubbard on eBay but the shade isn't signed.  That to me is a cobbled lamp.  I asked the seller if the shade was signed and he responded with a negative but didn't post the question.  Many times the glass shade and base separately are fairly expensive to puchase.  Should it be left to the eye of the beholder or should one be so honest as to drive people away? ???

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 03:14:16 pm by railman44 »

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: What's a cobbled old lamp really worth?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »
Not a bad looking lamp.( the first one) to the unsuspected it might pass as a tiffany. the lower lamp is looking good with a stylish, art's & craft's shade & base.
I simply believe it's a matter of ethic's.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 03:52:43 pm »
Maybe consider marketing them as "recycled antiques". Going green by giving new life and purpose to separated shades and bases. The customer gets a product that has nice safe new wiring (big plus there!) and a beautiful antique!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:11 pm »
In my opinion I would be honest, these lamps are wonderful and should easily sell anyway.  Not sure about how much time you have invested and will that outweigh it worth, but Honest is best, for those who it would really matter too anyway will probably figure it out anyway, and to those who just like how they look will not really care.  Just a opinion.  Curious about how much these are worth and what is you selling price, maybe I can see if I have enough in my wallet  ;D

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 04:50:49 pm »
In my opinion I would be honest, these lamps are wonderful and should easily sell anyway.  Not sure about how much time you have invested and will that outweigh it worth, but Honest is best, for those who it would really matter too anyway will probably figure it out anyway, and to those who just like how they look will not really care.  Just a opinion.  Curious about how much these are worth and what is you selling price, maybe I can see if I have enough in my wallet  ;D
Iron, they're not for sale.  My daughter would never talk to me again if I got rid of the first one.  I just enjoy taking orphan old parts and making them shine again.  I guess I was just wondering if people would enjoy/buy the end product of a newly wired cobbled lamp.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:57:42 pm »
There is one distinct difference, you were '' Honest'' they may be ''Cobbled'' but again to the unknowing. there ''Pricey''

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:57 pm »
If I'm sure I'm buying a diamond & the (pro) seller thinks I'm buying glass , I keep my mouth shut (or ask 'stupid' questions) .

If I'm selling , I'll tell the buyer everything that I know to be true about the item (that makes only one simple true story to remember) ; does not matter to me if it's in print , media or simply words .
When selling , I think it's easier to call it like it is , in all cases , esp so if doing otherwise would be intentionaly deceptive .
I personally remember (& do repeated business with) honest sellers way better than all others , where ever they're found .
Goes to show that I'm fond of rare things ....

I save the duplicity , if useful , for when I'm buying . :(

I think I'd rather be known as an honest seller , v.s. a crafty buyer , though .

But then again , crafty buyers really don't want to be known as such ... :)

My personal model is that : the real $ is to be made in the buy , not the sale :
the real reputation comes from an honest sale .

BTW , railman ...cool lamps !
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 05:21:16 pm by regularjoe2 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »
   Sorry I misunderstood, beside my wallet is pretty shallow these days after my many items I've been buying.  As to weater people would buy them, heck yea they are wonderful and like tales said they are recycling or rather reuse (which is much better), and You could get a fat wallet doing that all the time I'm sure.   Many of use with shallow wallets can't afford a tiffany, but maybe one of those railman lamps that look just as good  :P

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:37:56 am »
I go with the honesty.  I am the one who has to live with myself.  Reputation, once it is lost, is very hard to get back but will always carry the "remember".  

Unfortunately, many people inherited items from family members and have asked about them on this site.   They were also told things that were not true from items handed down over the years.   Big disappointments are felt and they are reflected toward the family members they inherited them from (when it may have been a dishonest or ill informed seller that gave the family member the incorrect info).

Think of your legacy....what do you want to leave behind?  A few extra dollars....or a person of integrity?

The lamps are very nice looking and would sell well.  As far as what you would want for them....the expectation may not meet the value.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reworked lamp as long as I liked it and there are many out there that feel the same way.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:39:44 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!