Author Topic: value  (Read 3393 times)

mammeexs4

• View Profile
value
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:17:34 pm »
Hello. I would like to know the value of some items which I have. This site is great.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: value
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:39:59 pm »
First and foremost to set value, one will need the hallmarks, touchmarks, or any clue to who made them.  Are any of these items marked?  If so can you post pics of them, that will help a long way to finding out what you have.

mammeexs4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:48:16 pm »
thanks for answering. I am really surprised. WHich is making me wonder if they are worth anything.the only thing that has and type of date is the one with the paddle wheel and mill--1964 on back

mammeexs4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »
the answer for that pink flowered dish. It is hand painted. If u turn it over you see the brush strokes and feel the texture.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:04 pm »
       Everything has some value of course,  With no markings one is faced with a very hard time of tracing History, age and etc.  There are experts that can look at a item and determine it history, this usually requires some really close inspections, hands one.  However never fear, there is two kinds of collectors, those searching for those rare one of a kind item, but even more collect items for how they look or go with their current collections.  You have some really wonderful items, that will sale if that is your intent.   Condition of course is first and most important, Looks, and uniqueness follows behind.  I will go back and look at the item a bit more careful and see if I guess place a value on them just for kicks.   If you can get picks of the hallmarks on the Pink flowered dish that is hand painted I bet we can get a bit further on this piece. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:03:48 pm »
      The Vase is a wonderful looking item and without knowing anything about it I would say you have a $50.00 item.  It looks handpainted and has a wonderful Art Novea to Art deco period look about it, if both of these are true then you can push the price up based on this.   Without proving the age then you will be pricing based on how it looks.
     The Plate Looks Ceramic or Stoneware, most basic Decorator plate can bring in about 15.00 to 20.00.  This one being a bit unique and hand painted as well will get you $30.00.
      As for the lamp, well that is for sure a repo,  ;D, don't think they had Floracent bulbs in the victorian times.  ::).  Lol  (just had to say that).  This well in great condition will get you $30.00 to $40.00 to that Tea Cup collector down the road.
     As for the serving platter, It would be nice to see that hallmark, but without that you have a nice platter, somewhat plain in design which won't help the value much.  Serving platters I pick up for under $5.00 at the thrift store, these are with hallmarks.  Not many collectors of platters it would seem. but if you have a cool hallmark who knows may be worth $20.00.
     This is all based on just opinion and others may be able to help with greater detail, I have just got good at prices based on Thrift and rummage sales and 1 antique auction so far  ;D.

mammeexs4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:08:37 pm »
thanks alot--and I have a friend that said the same thing about the bulb-lol. I use it alot--energy u know. And I just took some more pics of that large candy dish ---aIt is great and I f I can not gt a good offer I will have to keep that one.I will try and send it getting ready to download.

mammeexs4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 08:26:42 pm »
OK It is me again.lol the plate u are asking about the platter-on the bottom of it . It says  Theo'dore Haviland from france. I was having alot of trouble getting close up of flower for detail. Someday I will figure this camera out.-lol Ok i got it on here. the flower u can tell but the leaves are painted but it is glary

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:18 pm »
As for the Flowers bowl, I was confused then realized it was the other item you posted.  That is a wonderful bowl  easily get the $50.00 quoted by DB I think earlier.  As for the Haviland platter, they have been around since the late 1890's I think it is and still in production today, They have millions of items on the market today, Which collectors like but has to be great examples of their works.  If you want you can search hundreds of pics at replacement.com and try and find the pattern name.  If you wish to sell this item you need to find someone who wants to add to their collection of this pattern.  If you find the name then you have a good chance of finding someone who will want it.  But still you are looking at a modest value at best, not a prime looking pattern for Haviland.  Date I would guess 30's or maybe 40's, that is just a guess, along with all my long winded replys  ;D.

mammeexs4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 08:53:39 pm »
 ;DNa--You have been great. My friend is trying to get me to sell things on ebay--which I am chicken to do. I am a disabled sorta 50 yr old female who needs to find a way to make money and help my husbnad outl. Goin from bein a very hard worker to not being able to hardly walk because if knees and bad back it sucks. And you see, I can match your windyness-;) ;) :) this is what I do not nothing antique about it just hard work. I sell firewood not antiques-lol

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:37 pm »
     Well Firewood can be a Antique  ;).  If you need money fast, then Ebay can help you there.  Keep a couple thing is mind.  First, right now things are cheap and it is a buyers market still.  I think in a few months you may fair a bit better with your items.   The next is to find out as much as you can about the item, and have as many tags as possible in the title, makes it easy for someone to find it.  Then timing is very important.  Try and find a time that as many people as possible are on ebay,  most just browser look at what is ending soonest,  I found the your auction ending during this time will help a bit.  Ebay can be good if you need it now, you just have to start your item at half it value it seems to even get a nibble.  I you have time then maybe a online store is better for you.  I know a really good one if intrested, but these you have to work with the goal of getting out of Lumberjack business and into the Antique and collectible world.  So far I have made it pay for itself as a hobby, but not quite ready to quit my day job, that requires lots of knowledge, but I'm working it.  Fell free to ask the advise from those on the forum, or if you want my few secrets to my Success  ::), I offer them freely.  Good luck and happy adventure  ;D   

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:45 pm »
If there is a consignment store in your area you might be able to sell your things that way. Ironlord, do you have your own online store or is a consignment type of situation? 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:56:18 pm »
     Yea right now the only activity is my online store.    I did Ebay for a while at the beginning, but didn't know enough and product and Description was really rookie stuff.  I have just now got enough knowledge to be dangerous per say, Stuff has gotten better but still kinda lacking.  Two months ago I started by online store.  This allows me to post and just let it sit until sold or it becomes a real Antique.  I'm now in the process of getting set up with a booth at the local market, I will be test driving this in about a month.  Since I'm just starting I kind of have to earn my wings, I will go with not only the intention to learn.  I have a plan that I hope will work in the end and something I may be able to make a living at in 5 years, O.K. 10.  Kinda hope I can turn all this into a early 401K.  Whoops talking too much again, today is one of my lets make a hundred post days I guess.   Go to my profile and the link to my store is on there.  If you want to sell some items check out MSMO or Main Street Mall Online.  They even offer a free store, but you can only have 10 listing. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 05:59:53 am »
Forget about the fluorescent bulb, if you are going to sell the lamp, remove the bulb and take another picture of it.

Your lamp is a “collectible”, as well as other items of similar nature. I still have a similar lamp with Martha sitting and George kneeling and w/green background. I once had another Dealer who would purchase bout every piece I could get my hands on that had that “colonial scene” on them.

To wit, here is a plate.

George & Martha 10" Dinner Plate - Colonial Couple In Garden
aka George & Martha Washington China - By Harker Pottery
(picture) http://www.jaswoodantiques.com/images/S2343georgemarthaplate1.JPG

(from website) http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.jaswoodantiques.com/images/S2343georgemarthaplate1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.jaswoodantiques.com/pottery.htm&usg=__O-keRc-kvN9SjdmzIXKXu9wlR2Q=&h=300&w=312&sz=30&hl=en&start=19&tbnid=9BqMLwsaXxUtOM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpottery%2Bwith%2BColonial%2Bscene%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:09 am »
I have a 10x10 space in a local antiques and collectibles store. Costs me $200 a month. They do all the selling so I don't have to be there. July was my first month so I'm waiting to see how I did. Hopefully my sales will cover my fee.