Author Topic: plz any info on oil painting  (Read 12650 times)

amandal

• View Profile
plz any info on oil painting
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:41:54 pm »
i have a beautiful oil painting i dont know anything about it maybe some one here could help thanks for any replies

syl

• View Profile
Re: plz any info on oil painting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »
Do you have any idea who painted it?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:30:22 am »
Can you describe more about it?  reprint?  Oil?  Canvas?  Paper?  Signature?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:14 am »
At first glance , I'd say it's in need of some conservation .

It appears to me to have been cut from it's original frame .

That fact that it appears to be gessoed is a sign that the artist had a clue about painting .

After this item has been cleaned , surely new details will emerge from it .

It does , to my eyes , certainly have the contrasting elements of a couple of genteel white ladies dabbling in the occult & the vodoo/fortune-teller in rougher circumstances .
(is that a bucket-o'-guts I'm seeing ?)

If that's mold/mildew I'm seeing (or the after-effects of it) , I'd say it's time to abate it's progress & clean it up .

My knee-jerk reaction , so far , is to guess that it may be from the New Orleans area .

Please tell us what you do know about where you got this painting , amandal .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:49 am »
Ooohh, I like that painting, if it is an actual oil. What is it painted on, it doesn’t look like canvas.

One seldom sees mixed-race subjects in a painting with the black person being the “primary subject”.

If the backing is paper, then it could possibly be a “textured” print of an old “scene”, ..... and thus quite possibly was at one time a "piece of Advertising" which would be great for you if the "product" could be identified. Anyway, a “Black Collectible” just the same.

By old “scene” I mean, the clothes, the hat and the “deck of cards” the fortuneteller ??? is using. The cards have no numbers on them …. which means they were typical “pre-mid-1800s playing cards”.

And ps, Regularjoe2, that is a “sewing basket”,  not a bucket-o'-guts. ;D ;D ;D She is using the lid from the basket to deal the cards on.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 08:36:20 am »
Sorry 'bout that ....
couldn't seem to restrain my inner-juvenile ..

too much java this morning !

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:01:59 am »
I knew I has seen a similar painting such as this it was done. by Sarah baselica. it would be interesting to see if this is before or after. or just a reprint.

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:56:04 am »
I agree this could be a really nice painting and it should be preserved. It looks to me like a scene from plantation life in the south pre civil war. Could have been painted later. Not sure if there is fortune telling going on or just card playing. I think the black woman is the mammy to the two girls. Need more information. Is it an actual oil painting. Sure looks like it.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:37 am »
It's interesting that the suit on the cards are all either hearts or diamonds. No other suits, no face cards. Tarot cards have pictures, so its not tarot. I also noticed that the ace seems to be rising out of the basket lid on it's own... there appears to be no hand there holding it up! But maybe that's just that it needs cleaning.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:06:54 pm »
The modern deck as we know it today was the original Tarot Deck, Fortunes was read on what we consider a standard deck today, however it did have a few less cards.  I believe it was the late 1800's that the new tarot deck was formed Morgan greer deck, I think it was, been a while since I studied that stuff.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:56:49 pm »
Interesting! I had no idea about that!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »
I do think this is a pic of 2 ladies trying to get a handle on the future with cards.  Really strange that the "teller" would have the cards hidden in the sewing box - but bet she was a worker and did sewing...thus the hidden secret that most folks wouldn't take kindly to. The ladies are apparently out of their own home....one carrying a parasol depicts that she has been on an outing.

I almost exploded when I read regularjoe2's comments about entrails.....  You don't get out much, huh?   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  I can honestly say there may be someone on this site crazier than me for a change!  Nice to have you here!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:19:22 pm »
Actually had to go check my memory, not quite right, History goes back a bit further and the first deck was the waite deck 1910 that started the modern craze.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 01:43:21 pm »
Spiritualism was huge back in the Victorian era. Lots of regular folks were into it back then. I used to work guiding tours at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, CA and I always found it very sad that the last decades of Sarah's life were so completely devoted to trying to appease the spirits she thought had killed her husband and daughter, the angry spirits of those killed by the Winchester rifle. A lot of people took it very seriously.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
Went to that Winchester house Talesof....gave me the heebie-jeebies.  So sad that she was so guiltridden/scared of the people that the rifle killed.  AND...people took advantage of that! But it shows you what people with money get to do when they have obsessions.  However, lots of folks were employed because of it (was the brighter side of a sad situation).