Author Topic: plz any info on oil painting  (Read 12643 times)

amandal

• View Profile
Re: plz any info on oil painting
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 08:42:37 pm »
yes this is an oil painting. i had purchased a large antique frame and there was an old print inside i took out the print and found this,the are no marking or names on it . i have taken it to a couple of antique shops and the owners were really interested in purchasing it but i decided i needed to get some info if i could . it looks to be painted on some type of canvas or a durable fabric of some kind. there are no signs of mold or mildew on the painting its just the color of it. it probibly needs cleaned but i dont know what to use,thanks if you might know something let me know

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 08:48:32 pm »
I by no means is a expert here but I did just read the other day that you some time can tell the date by the weave in the canvas.  One can tell machine canvas vs. handmade, not sure have not tested this out yet, just thought I would add that. 

amandal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »
you know i found an artist named harry roseland and he painted many oils  similar.they are very interesting

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:54:39 pm »
This is way cool stuff, things dreams our made of  ::).  Good site on the artist KC

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 11:14:51 pm »
That second painting on the site is sure similar in concept!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:39 am »
yes this is an oil painting.  it looks to be painted on some type of canvas or a durable fabric of some kind.

amandal, if it was really an old painting and was painted on canvas or durable fabric, then wouldn't/shouldn't there be a wood frame to stretch said canvas/fabric on?

I couldn't tell by your picture of the painting if there was a frame and that was why I was asking. And the un-painted front edges of the "painting" had me a little dubious also.

jasminne

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:45 am »
KC is right...it's by Harry Roseland. "The Fortune Teller"  Could be worth alot of something if original. Wow
http://www.askart.com/askart/artists/search/inquiry.aspx?artist=23646&ad=5135&searchtype=ART_FOR_SALE
This site has the same painting,   1899.

jasminne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 07:37:40 am »
wowsa!!!

Thank you for your inquiry on Roseland's "The Fortune Teller."
The painting is a fine example of the artist's best work. Signed and dated '99 it is in excellent unlined condition. Housed in a beautiful antique frame that appears original to the painting. priced at $26,000.00.

Regards,

Jack Lane
Red Piano Gallery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:57 am »
cogar, amandel noted that a picture was purchased and the picture was removed and this picture was behind it.

It is not uncommon from really old paintings to find another painting behind it.  If frames were perfect for homes they could just get new pics put in and usually kept the old one.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:52 am »
Keep in mind it could also have been done by an art student who was learning by copying Roseland's work. Considering the value of the known Roseland painting, I think it would be worthwhile to have someone check this out in person.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 06:21:20 pm »
Totally agree Talesof....need to go have it professionally examined/appraised.  Could be worth some big $$$$$$ or $$.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 06:47:40 am »
amandal , this suggestion may sound a bit 'out there' , but ...

in consideration of the fact that this canvas was 'hidden' ( @ least that's what I gather , from your postings ) behind a framed print , perhaps it may have been stolen ( or hidden for some other reason ).

Althought it seems as if it was done in the style of the artist , the skill level seems a bit 'off' for the artists' work , and of course may be a copied work , as other posters noted .... but who knows ?

The fact that you purchased the frame at a legit shop should be a very good 'CYA' , in the event that your painting was purloined , or the work of a forger .

I've also discovered several paintings on canvas 'hidden' behind others , 4 out of 5 of them were forgeries of famous -to - semi-famous artists .

Speaking from the viewpoint of an old-timer - the rule is - "If there is a doubt , there is no doubt ; check it out."

The F.B.I. has got a large database on stolen artworks and legitmate collectors will sometimes check with them about a work they've bought or are intending to buy .
An individual needs to get in touch with a field office of the F.B.I. , generally , to check artwork against their stolen art database though .... not everybody is comfortable doing so , however .

Just junk-food for thought .... I'm not saying one thing or the other here .

I 100% agree with the opinion of having it seen by someone in the know , as previous posters suggested .
One last suggestion is to handle this canvas with clean white cotton gloves ...acids from your hands can cause damage .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 08:38:46 am »
cogar, amandel noted that a picture was purchased and the picture was removed and this picture was behind it.

It is not uncommon from really old paintings to find another painting behind it.  If frames were perfect for homes they could just get new pics put in and usually kept the old one.

"Yes", KC, I understand very well what Amandel was saying, .... but it was what he wasn't saying that was bugging me.

Now I don't mean to be pierty but do you know anything about "painting with oils on canvas"?

There are only two (2) ways to “start doing” it as far as I know.

1. Choose your size painting and then purchase said size of “canvas panel/board” from an art supply store.

2. Choose your size painting and then purchase or make yourself a small wood frame out of ½” x ¾” wood strips of said size, ….. then purchase a roll of canvas, cut said to size and then staple or tack said onto said wood frame. Or, you can buy pre-made one, to wit:

Blick Studio Canvas is economically priced for students and professionals. We start with a 7 oz, pre-primed 100% cotton duck canvas and add 3 coats of acid free titanium gesso. Final post primed, finished weights reach approximately 10.5 oz. This canvas is then hand stretched and stapled around solid wood stretchers. You can forget about time consuming preparation. Studio canvas is the perfect balance of high quality and economy.  http://www.dickblick.com/categories/canvas/

So you see KC, if that above painting was painted on canvas and it was painted say pre-1940, then it was painted on a canvas on a stretcher frame because I’m guessing one couldn’t purchase said canvas panels or boards pre-1940. I could be wrong on that though.

And since Amandel’s painting is pictured sitting up all straight n’ firm, which you can’t get a piece of painted canvas to do …… without a stretcher frame holding it, … I wanted to see or know if there was a frame doing said. If not, …. then, well “duh”.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 03:22:09 pm »
cogar...could you re-explain that so I can understand....  :)  Just poking fun!

I also saw that it was stiff.....and meant to make a comment....but it slipped my mind!