Author Topic: plz any info on oil painting  (Read 12648 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: plz any info on oil painting
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 04:05:42 pm »
I did over do it a bit ..... but I wasn't in a hurry so .... I figured "if Kc doesn't know why I'm being so pesty about the frame then there will sure be a bunch more viewers that will be also".

After I posted that long one I said to myself, .... d--m, should have said "stretcher frame" at the git-go. My bad .... for not doing so. CRS ya know. ;D ;D 

spooky

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »
i won't pretend to know a whole lot of where this painting could come from or who even painted it ans when.but i will bring up the fact that it is funny ppl mentioning new orleans it is almost reminiscent of the voodoo queen of new orleans miss marie laveau. nice painting btw!
V^^^V

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 05:02:32 pm »
C

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »
Cogar your excused, you were only pointing out certain fact's. it honestly look's like oil on board, which may account for the chip damage. we have a nice group here now. and sometimes I just set back & watch.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 07:40:52 pm »
It's sure tough to figure some things out from brief descriptions and o/l images .

I noticed the slight & regular scalloping of the canvas at the top (not at the bottom , by the bucket o' guts  ;D) , and I thought it looked very much like a streched & 'set' canvas that had been cut out of it's strecher-frame .

I still do .

:)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
I love this board!!!!!  Even the bantering!  Makes it fun and interesting.  :P

Cogar....your explanations are awesome!  D&b, noticed you didn't seem to be posting as much....I agree...we aren't having to answer so many because there is a nice, large group that are jumping in with all kinds of information!  Some days my brain hurts there is so much to learn!  :) :) :O
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 11:57:29 am »
What's interesting, is Sarah Baselica did a painting called fortune teller look's very much like this one with the same Bucket of '' Gut's'' if I remember correctly her painting, had one less female. but the art work.... look's like Sara's.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 06:40:09 am »
Why thank you KC, I appreciate that nice comment.

I kinda keep my eye on the "# of Views" for each posting, and the one's that are really "hot" ..... I know there are bunches of people wanting to learn more about that specific item and the things they can read from all the expertise of the Posters here-on they are not likely to find any place else on the Net. 

A Forum like this one is about the only place the "young folks" can learn about the history and uses of the "What is its".

amandal

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 09:31:15 pm »
this painting is actually on canvas it has been cut from frame.it is flemzy buy i had it laying ona chair while taking picture eaven the back of painting has some kind of brown something painted over it.as to the bucket o guts ha thats actually thread she must of been doing needle work and it using the lid of her thread container to lay the cards out.if i were to clean this painting what would i use? thanks for all info this forum is really cool

amandal

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:19 pm »
also i have tried to research the sarah baselica painting and i cant seem to find anything regarding any such person could you give me advice on where to look?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:39 pm »
I'd most strongly recommend that you use a very powerful tool when you get to thinking about cleaning this painting , amandal .

That tool is common sense .

Leave the cleaning of your fragile painting to someone with specific experience in cleaning oil paintings !!!

I'm certain that this one would make a very bad 'beginners' project , esp. in it's current condition .
The painting really belongs in/on a stretcher frame .

Nothing wrong with learning about how-to , but causing more damage might make you cuss .

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:09 pm »
I thought it was determined that this painting was done by, or copied from, Harry Roseland.