Author Topic: Lost screw...  (Read 4229 times)

DieselDog

• View Profile
Lost screw...
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »
I know, some would say my screws have been loose for years, and it would be only a matter of time before I lost some but seriously, I have a 1958 singer sewing machine, model 401A machine and console. In the process of removing the machine from the carrage hinges in the console I lost one of the set screws that attach the machine to the hinges.
Of course, a replacement screw cannot be found at any of the local hardware stores. The hardware people say they think it is a 12/32.

Do any of you think you may have an original screw in your spare fastener drawers, or know someone who may?

Here are the approximate measurements: _3/8ths long X 12 dia? with standard blade slot on top.  I can also send a photo if necessary.

Thanks, Michael.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:59:33 pm by DieselDog »

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Lost screw...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:45 pm »
I'm assuming it's a music (record) player?  Whatever it is, there are people who restore those types of things.  I would do a search on Google for restorers and contact them.  Sometimes if you contact someone who sells those vintage machines, they'll give you the address of the people they get their parts from.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »
You could try this site and contact them   http://www.vintagesingersewing.com/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:39:44 pm »
That's great that you are keeping your old Singer alive. Those old machines are awesome. My mom still has hers from the 60's and it sews like a champ. The ones they make now have plastic gears and unless you spend hundreds on a high-end machine, the gears wear out in a very short time and the tension goes all to heck. It costs more to fix them than they are worth. I went through several of these crumby machines before I got myself a turn of the century treadle machine. I love it and it sews great! I've been "treadle to the metal" ever since! There are forums and all kinds of stuff for people who are into old machines. It should be no problem replacing the parts. I'll never go back to a modern sewing machine again!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:14:29 am »
Another method would be to bring in your remaining set-screw and run it through a thread-gauge , so as to be sure of it's pitch , and buy a 'grade 5' bolt & nut with the same thread pitch .

Place the head of the bolt in a vice , and use a hacksaw to cut off a length of the bolt to the proper size .
Thread this cut-off piece into the nut , clamp tightly into the vice & again use the hacksaw to cut a slot in your new , homemade , set screw .

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 07:32:18 am »
HA, ya beat me to that one, Joe, I wasa prepared to suggest the same thing.

If it is a 12-32 thread an electrician's pliers, the one with the cutter/crimper/stripper and small "bolt cutter" holes in it, will probably work instead of the vice.

And DieselDog, if you use Joe's idea wiith the hacksaw, before you attempt to cut the slot, use a small 3-corner file to first "cut" a groove for the hacksaw blade "to follow", otherwise you will give-up in frustration.

DieselDog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:25:48 pm »
Excellent advise guys, and gals.  I sure appreciate your help. 
I got this machine for my wife.  An older coworker had it in her garage (it was her Mother's since it was new), and she gave it to me with the stipulation that the wife puts it to use.  So in honor of her request, and the memory of her Mother, I'm cleaning up the console (cleaned-up great showing a deep red cherry or mahogany finish), and took the machine to a retired guy in Milpitas who worked for Singer as a young man in the 50's.  He said it was in great shape, he cleaned and lubed it for me, and showed me how (it still has the original book and accessory box that came with it) and said just like you say, that this machine is one of the best models Singer ever made.
As he was pointing out the metal gears and cast case pieces.  He said to get a better machine than that, I'd have to get a commercial model, but he also said, many of the businesses he went to as a repairman had 401's there, and were using them for commercial production.
No crappy chinese garbage here.  I feel very fortunate to have it-just need to hang-on to all my screws...
Thanks again, Michael.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 12:16:19 am »
That's great news! I'm sure that machine will get passed along through a few more generations. They truly do not make them like they used to and it is amazing how badly the quality of the modern machines has deteriorated. Hang onto that baby!! Oh and do post a photo, I'd love to see it!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 08:31:17 am »
I should have mentioned that a good auto/truck parts store would very possibly have a set-screw like yours in their bins . Prob would be an Allen head & harder than a Grade 5 .
Also small engine/electric motor repair shops too .

DieselDog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:13:12 pm »
Hey, a pretty sharp lookin set-up here.  The material I chose to reupholster looks a bit post-modern, right in line for something made in the late 1950’s.

I found the screw finally, a guy at a local sewing shop in San Jose had it in his fastener draw, 3 bucks and a thanks and I was on my way.

Just for info only, the guy at the on-line vintage sewing machine place wanted a $21.00 minimum paypal payment for said screw.  I'd like to say more about screws-but won't.

Thanks again to all who responded.

I’m sure proud of this machine, I can’t wait until my wife puts it to work.  Whatayathink???

I'll attempt to upload the photos I took this afternoon...  here goes

DieselDog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:16:02 pm »
A couple more picts...

DieselDog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:22 pm »
One more...

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 03:37:13 am »
Beautiful piece. Never seen one in such a fancy cabinet. There was an old Williams Wordworking Plant near where I live that produced nothing but sewing machine cabinets for more than 40 years. It "closed the door" in the late 80's.

And ps: After it had closed the owner had a sale of the left over inventory. I probably bought 50 lbs of wood screws, hinges, drawer pulls, drawer knobs, etc. for an average of 20 cents/lbs. Many times I wished that I had bought another 20 lbs of just the different sizes of wood screws. I used them for everything but they sure came in handy when I built a large 3-piece entertainment center for the wife.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:51:04 am by cogar »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:08:53 am »
Nice cabinet.....great set up!   Thanks for sharing!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!