Author Topic: Can you please help me identifying this piece?  (Read 3462 times)

AdamFL

Can you please help me identifying this piece?
« on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:40 am »
Hi - First thank you for the forums and the website. I bought this picture from a  friend 3 years ago, I'm not sure if it's considered a piece of art/antique. I was always curious to know, So please if you can help me with identifying it and it's value.
Apparently it's a picture of a car "Itala 1910" as it's the only thing written on it. I searched google and found out about the Itala car brand as I never heard about it before.
the car is made from different items and old parts: keys, old radio components etc..
Pictures are million time better than comments:

Thank you in advance.

AdamFL

Re: Can you please help me identifying this piece?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »
I was hoping to find inputs and comments but I guess my piece is a mystery :)
Any ideas how i can get help identifying it?

Thanks

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:06:44 pm »
I'm only guessing but it appears to be "modern art".  This doesn't subtract from it.  Most folks here are more familiar with vintage or antique items. 

jasminne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »
I see a few sewing notions there. Is it made of sewing machine parts? Wow, someone put alot of work into that! I'll bet there isn't another one like it! Ahh, I see your note ...made of different parts.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:23:30 pm by jasminne »

AdamFL

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:31:47 pm »
Thank you for the inputs :) yes it's made from different things: can opener, old fashion razors, safety pins...
I'm sure it's unique and the person who made it, put lotof time and effort. I'm also assuming he has to know this car model (1910) in details.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:11:40 pm »
     I would say this would fall into the folk art catagory, which tends to have different rules of value and hidden history.   I use to make items kinda like that with electronic components, not wall hanging by scenes, kinda reminded me of that.  However I do believe that your is much older, for usually folk artist would use items that are from their period,  I see items that appears to be 30's to 40's, nothing very modern at all.   I like this piece and so would any car memorbilia collector.

AdamFL

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:25:21 pm »
Thanks ironlord1963, That's what I was estimating between the 30's and the 50's. I'm thinking about restoring the wheels and get it a nice framce with glass, if that's a good idea. :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »
That would be a wonderful thing to do, maybe consider a shadow box style frame, maybe think a bit about the care of the leather too.   This item has value for sure, based on the unique folk art look about it.  Then you never know later you may find the artist, cause this is very well done, which means He / She made more and if they made enough somewhere out there someone knows.   If you can get a name and date then that would mean lots more value.   I would stablize any damage and fix any that won't be hard and hang it on the wall in a shadow box and don't forget the subtle light above it so all will go Ohhhh and Ahhhhhh.  :o

AdamFL

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:39:44 pm »
will do :) I'm not sure I will know the exact date and the artist who made it, hopefully I will get lucky oneday :)
 I found it in the garage of the house I just moved in, with a box full of wheat pennies.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:57:42 am »
Ah wheat pennies are fun! I used to collect those when I was a little girl, when you could still find them in your pocket change! I've still got my collection! I still check my change and every now and then something comes up. Most recently, I got a mint condition 1962 quarter in my change at the McDonald's drive-thru! It still pays to check before you toss it into the bottomless pit (aka a purse!) Somebody must have broken into dad's coin collection and gone out for burgers! (Dad must have been SO TICKED!)
Antiqueaholic in recovery

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:59:13 pm »
Good ole silver! Lucky find! I recently went through about a few thousand coins that I have been saving for ages and found three silver dimes and a sliver quarter. I was honestly expecting a LOT more silver, like at least 7 coins, but no luck. I did however find a steel penny and loads of wheats. Takes forever, but it's fun. --I also found an indian head in the last like five coins left!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »
I've got one of those old WWII pennies too! Are they actually steel or zinc? I've heard both used to describe them, but I don't know which is which.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »
Oh and about that find in the McDonald's drive-thru... That was the second time I knew I had a silver coin in my change before I saw it, because I could hear the difference in the sound!

I have always had a thing for old coins, I've got some neat old Victorian "love token" jewelry that I love, as well as Spanish 4 Reale cob from the wreck of the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet, a handful of misc. 18th and 19th century coins and some ancient Roman and Egyptian ones.

It all started with my next door neighbor when I was little, who gave me a box of foreign coins from her world travels in the 1940's and 50's. I still have 'em after all these years. You never know what you're going to start when you give a little kid a gift with even a little history!