Author Topic: A couple old items  (Read 4280 times)

waterskeeter

• View Profile
A couple old items
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:34:47 pm »
I have been going through a bunch of items I received from my grandfather and figured this is the place to receive my help. One item I am interested about is this medicine (pictured below) It seems Really old and I was wondering if it is possible worth anything? It was made in Canada and is called Perry Davis Painkiller and the bottle is full.

Next is this pocket watch type thing. Any idea how old or the value of it?

and last this bill I found, it seems really old and it greenish on one side but allot darker on the other.

railman44

• View Profile
Re: A couple old items
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:47:00 pm »
All of your items are very interesting and certainly worth something.  The sundial compass is most interesting to me.  I've never seen one like that.  The medicine bottle with original carton is also neat.  Most old coin and currency shops can tell you what the Confederate bill is worth.  I'll be interested to see what the experts say.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:41:02 am by railman44 »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:35:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum , h2o-skeeter .

My opinion(s) go :

Confed bill - it's in pretty bad shape & on a very , very , very good day would bring $10 .

The sundial-watch was made in the mid - thru late 1960's , as a novelty item (note zip code, which came into being in 1963 / required in 1967) .

The bottle and packaging was from the 20th century (screw-top bottle) and I'd guess 1930's-1940's .... not worth too much to bottle collectors , but perhaps more to advert collectors . It may contain opium &/or cocaine , which would be worth alot more that the items themselves ( and get you a possible free room with your own cot !!! ).

These items might just be worth more as family heirlooms , versus selling them ( just my opinion ) .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:25:03 am »
Here's some info on your Perry Davis Painkiller. Looks like he was established in business from about 1840, and although no clear date is given for the demise of his company, the FDA put an end to most of the patent "medicine" industry in the early 1900's. The four ounce bottle on this page is selling for $50
http://www.ilab.org/db/book1795_18222.html

Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:44:51 am »
Good eye RegularJoe!  I missed the zip code entirely.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:01:30 am »
If just the bottle is selling for $50, then a bottle in the original package is worth a lot more.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:29:36 am »
A bottle like one on that page looks like this one .
They're very much liked by bottle collectors .

Screw-topped bottles , not so much .

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:31:27 am »
They are all very interesting.I am not sure about any of the items except maybe the Confederate Note,and I am not sure of a value.I will say,though,my 14 year old son collects coins,and would love to have it in his collection.If you do decide to sell it please let me know.

Thanks,God bless,Keith
God bless

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:07 am »
I am in a bit of disagreement with RegularJoe regarding the Confederate bill. If it isn't authentic, then yes, $10 seems like a high estimate. However, if the bill is genuine you are looking at a much higher price tag in my opinion. Bills during the Confederacy didn't sore as high as $1k, but bonds did. I have never seen a bill like yours, but I only collected coins, not paper money so I am not expert. My best guesses are as follows: a.) I am missing something/don't know what I'm talking about b.) the bill is not authentic or c.) the bill is authentic and worth $50-$100. As for condition, it isn't in pristine condition, but I have seen bills sell for a lot more in worse condition then yours.

Why do you say $10 on a really good day, RegularJoe? Do you think the bill is a forgery? It's entirely possibly, but most I've seen say "copy" at the bottom, unless it was ententionally made to fool.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
On the Confederate bill, keep in mind that the replicas are made perfectly legally for Civil War reenactors and for sale to tourists at historic sites. There are tons of them. I believe that the ones that are post 1973 are required to carry the word "Copy" on them, but prior to 1973 this was not required and it is more difficult to tell. What does it feel like? Does it feel like modern paper, or does if feel like it has cloth fiber in the note? Here is a replica of your bill up for sale on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Confederate-States-of-America-1000-T1-Replica-Note_W0QQitemZ150312399730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item22ff513372&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

What is the likelihood that your grandpa would have a replica? Did he travel or visit historic places? It looks like he believed it was real, since he kept it in plastic and the plastic is the exact size for the bill, like he purchased it, or purchased the sleeve for it. The folds are interesting too. It would be good to have it looked at by a few local coin experts. They should be able to tell you very easily if it is a replica. 
Antiqueaholic in recovery

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:01:08 pm »
I'll say that mine is , by no stretch of the imagination , the final 'word' on the Confed bill , but I have seen several #297 -$1000 notes through the years .

I'm not saying I think this one is authentic , or not .
Only 100% sure-fire way is to inspect it in person .

By all means , check with a local shop that deals with paper currency to get a hands-on opinion about it's value , waterskeeter .

One point of fact about currency collectors (myself included) is that the condition of the currency is pretty explicit to it's real (or percieved ) value .

Condition of paper currency may not be of such importance to other (non-collector) buyers , though .
Folks will pay what folks will pay ...so maybe the value is set by the buyer , in many things .......

I think waterskeeter has got 3 cool items .  :) :) :)

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »
Good info guys. Three very cool items indeed!

syl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19:29 pm »
It seems odd to me that both sides of the bill are identical. I've never seen any bill like that. And it also says that the C.S.A. will pay to the bearer $1000 upon demand 'plus interest' of so many cents per day. Couldn't read the exact number. That makes it seem more like some kind of bond. But I'm no expert on old paper money either.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »
I would say Syl is on to something here, it reads 10 Cents a day, with date of issue, which appears hand written and the top read 12 Months after date, which would indicate a Conferate War bond kind of item.  So 12 Months after the date of purchase you can cash it in, with interest.   Wow that could be worth a lot  ;D.  That would be 1000.00 + just over 5000.00 in intrest, value is around $6000.00  :D, just have to find a conferate bank.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:24:20 pm »
Found some in our in-laws items when going through....the banks no longer exist....the historical value is dependent upon condition and issuance/rarity.  Needs to be inspected by an "in-know" person.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!