Author Topic: German Desk Set  (Read 5816 times)

kehbe

• View Profile
Re: German Desk Set
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:57 am »
Hmm,

I found this link after researching the "Max Bernstein" (publisher) that is on the paper that has been replaced on the blotter. He shows up about half way down the page. Interesting that they were in business in the early 1900's. 1916 to 1932. Located right here in Kansas City, which is where I live. This info then would lead me to believe that possibly my ex-mother-in-law aquired this set 'after' she came to the states and did not bring it with her from Switzerland. don't know for sure. Any thoughts? I am going to try to contact her for more info.

http://www.metropostcard.com/publishersb1.html

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:31:36 am by kehbe »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 07:46:57 am »
Actually interested in the underside of blotter piece...Max Bernstein was a publisher of post cards 1916 - 1932....they are highly collectible from the early 1900's.  Can you post a better pic of this?  This helps in dating your piece!  Is this a business card?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kehbe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 08:16:17 am »
As near as I can tell, the thread size and pitch is very close to an M4-0.7..... doesn't seem to be exact though.

It is definatly not an american standard thread. #8-32 is to small and #10-24 is to large. I have thread gauges which I have included pictures of.

Yes the blotter paper seems to be an old business card of sorts, advertising the "Max Bernstein" company.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:44:40 am by kehbe »

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 08:31:01 am »
It was my initial idiot-savant impression that this desk set would be an ornate and impressive prop for Mr. Max to have had on his desk .
It seems a bit too fancy for a regular joe to have had kickin' 'round the office .

I was hoping to hear that you lived in the K.C. vicinity kehbe , so as to lend some credence to the possibility that your items may just have some link to him .

As alot of the folks here know , sometimes WHO owned an article can have favorable impact upon it's value .

We'll see what comes up around the next bend , with the good research , so far .

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:17 am »
I think your hardware is 'Wentworth' threaded .

Thanks for posting about it .

Another suggestion for your consideration , as to searching for maker , would be to use/include the search terms : Nouveau Victorian jewel casket , jewel box or trinket box .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:17:34 am by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 09:52:10 am »
By-all-means...if you can contact her....try and get the information if this was his set.  Not unheard of, but would be unusual for someone to use his business card on a blotter.  But if it could be linked to him....he does have notoriety in the collectible post cards....which would help increase the value of the set!  Also, you could establish a better time line.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kehbe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »
Here goes,

A bit of history on these peices and a bit of a long story and I hope you all don't mind reading it. I spoke with my ex mother-in-law. When she came over from Switzerland, with an army man she met in France and soon married, during the war, she got a job here in Kansas City as the housekeeper for a family named Rosenberg (sp). The Rosenbergs's went on to be quite a wealthy Jewish family here in town and eventually owning the Kansas City Kings, an NBA team. Mr. Rosenberg's Grandmother, who, from what I can gather, came here in the late 1800's was married to a man of modest means. She wanted more and alledgely had an affair with a wealthy man here in Kansas City. Name not known. (Perhaps Bernstein?) When she died, most of her estate, since Mr. Rosenberg had passed on, went to the wife of Mr. Rosenberg , who my ex mother-in-law worked for. After years of the bulk of the estate setting in the basement, my ex mother-in-law was instructed to bag it up and take it all to the thrift store. But not before being told she could have what she wanted of it. She happened to grab this set,  because HER Grandmother had a similar set, minus the candlesticks. To her it was sentimental. She also got several other peices that I am trying to get more info on. I will post about some of thee other items as they come available.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:49:56 pm by kehbe »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 11:28:05 am »
Interesting story. Did you, by chance, ask her if she was the one to "tag" the information on the back?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 08:50:41 pm »
Aw man, I wonder what went to the thrift store?!!
Antiqueaholic in recovery