Author Topic: Winchester Repeating Arms Co Meat Grinder Model W12 produced when?  (Read 12925 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
In keeping with todays theme of lots of household items, I recently needed to buy a meat grinder and decided to look for a cool old one. I picked this one because I used to guide tours at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose CA when I was in my late teens.

Here's the Winchester history in a nutshell -

The Winchester rifle was known as the gun that won the west, a huge improvement over the single-shot rifles (someone with more firearms knowledge might want to fill in here.) The Winchester company diversified into other metal and wood products, such as rollerskates and meat grinders.

The son of the inventor was named William Wirt Winchester. He married Sarah Pardee and the two of them had one child. Very suddenly, both W.W. Winchester and the child died, leaving Sarah Pardee Winchester a lonely widow battling depression. Her physician recommended that she go back east and visit her family. She did so, and on that visit she visited a spiritual medium. This medium told her that her husband and child had been killed by the spirits of those killed by the Winchester rifle and that Sarah would be next to die, unless she appeased the spirits. To do that, she had to build a house for the spirits to live in and she had to build on it 24 hours a day, 365 day a year, never stopping.

Poor Sarah believed the medium, and came to San Jose CA where she purchased a small farm house and began to build, and build and build! She actually became a pretty good amature architect by the time of her death in the 1920's. She also invented several household devices. She designed a sink with a washboard molded into the side of it. She designed window latches that were modeled after the cocking mechanism on the Winchester repeating rifle. These can still be seen on the 4th floor of her house. She designed the little brass triangular plates that were used in the corners in old Victorian houses to make it easy to sweep out the corners. She also designed one thing that is still in use today- drawers on rollers. This came about because when Sarah bought fabric for a dress, she would buy the entire bolt so that no one could have a dress that looked like hers. She had to store these bolts of fabric in drawers and because of their weight, she put them on rollers. So when you open your desk drawer Monday morning- you can thank Sarah Winchester!

Sarah was fabulously wealthy, receiving enormous sums of money in royalties from the Winchester rifle and related products. This funded the building and rebuilding of the house, which was designed to encourage the presence of good spirits and frighten away evil ones. There are numerous uses of the number 13, which she believed was lucky for good spirits and only unlucky for evil ones. There are columns installed upside down, doors and staircases that lead to nowhere and many other unusual architectural features. The house is beautiful, filled with Tiffany glass windows and beautiful parquette flooring.

And then there's the ghosts... The house is one that has been believed to be haunted for decades, hence the name Winchester Mystery House.

So back to the meat grinder- I paid $27 for it. The prices are all over the board for these. One sold for $35 a few weeks ago, and I've seen them range from $45 on Ebay to a whopping $250, when most meat grinders go for about $7 to $10. So I feel OK about spending $27 bucks for this one.

My Winchester meat grinder:

Up close on the Winchester logo and the W12 model number.

The handle with the full name, Winchester Repeating Arms Co, New Haven Conn.

The inside of the handle, marked Made in USA

View looking down the top

Finally, my question is, when was the model W12 produced?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Winchester Repeating Arms Co Meat Grinder Model W12 produced when?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:51:48 pm »
     Thanks for the sharing of the history, didn't know they made meat grinder, Really cool.  Beats my keystone meatgrinder, that I got mixed with a box of silverplate flatware on ebay, which ended up being half stainless and a meatgrinder, they got bad feedback.  Mine dated about 1930's worth about 5 bucks, hope to find a meatgrinder collector some day, cause it kinda looks ugly upon my shelf  ;D

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:53:01 pm »
Hi I love this type of grinder I have a maid of honor 4710-15 and use it all the time. Winchester began production beyond firearms at the close of WWI. 1926-1927 store catalog contained more than 7,000 items. The story of Sarah Pardee is wonderful & sad at the same time. Would love to visit the home as my husband does residential design & construction.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:07:01 pm »
You and your hubby would love the Winchester house. There are so many bizarre architectural features. Here's the Web site.
http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:17:33 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:25:10 pm »
Whoops hit "post" too soon! Thanks for answering the question of the date!

I know the WMH has a pair of Winchester roller skates in the little museum that they have on site. I can't recall if they have a meat grinder or other items in there. Lots of great old rifles.

LOL they used to have this wax statue of Geronimo in there with his arms crossed. One of the tour guides had ever so slightly adjusted the fingers on one hand, so that they were very, very subtly flipping off the tourists!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:46:07 pm »
Didn't know they made that kind of meatgrinder .

Mine is a W-12(Ga.) Defender .

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:12:04 pm »
LOL @ RJ2!!!

Here's a page with some other Winchester "collectables" including my meat grinder. The Winchester marble is cool!
http://www.neaca.com/Winchester.html

Here's a page about other Winchester products, like skates and even a lawn mower!
http://www.go-star.com/antiquing/cowans_corner0807.htm
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 11:27:40 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 01:58:20 am »
Been to the home.  Quite bizzare.  Fantastic pair of yet to be used but never installed Tiffany stain glass French doors.  Story goes Teddy Roosevelt visited one time and wasn't let in.  I think there is only one photo of Sarah.  She was quite the recluse. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 05:51:28 am »
Thank you to all of you for being so welcoming  as I am new to this site!! The knowledge you all have gained in your lifetime is wonderful & fascinating. Have tried to join other forums & they will not even acknowledge a question. hope to visit winchester mystery house in the future.  Thank you again

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 10:00:02 am »
It's great to have you aboard Wendy177! I had the same problem trying to make an in-road on other forums. It can be difficult. What I like about this forum is that the people here give a polite, honest answer, no matter how "un-antique" an item may be, and treat the poster with respect just because they tried. That is a rare thing on the Web!

...And then every now and then we get to share in an "Antique Roadshow Moment"!!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
Yes , wendy177 , welcome to the forum .
Lots of very decent folks here !

BTW - been to the W house tour twice ... I hear it was a great place to be a carpenter (mostly) !

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »
The Winchester grinder just arrived, and I'm really pleased with the condition. There's no rust, everything turns smoothly, no cracks in the handle. It looks like it spent most of it's life in a cupboard. I didn't really expect it to be this nice. I'm surprised how clean it is, but it still has plenty of character and a nice old-timey squeak when turning! I'm looking forward to using the Winchester to grind apples for cider.

I've got another vintage kitchen item purchase for the pressing phase. After pricing wine/grape/cider/fruit presses, (over $150) I started looking for small-scale vintage or antique alternatives and decided to go with a Wear-Ever fruit press & removable strainer. These seem to have been produced around 1940-1950-ish and for the small scale cider production that we're doing, one of these should do the trick. They are cheap too, under ten bucks.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:02 pm »
I thought these wear-ever presses were only used for soft fruits .... or am I on some other planet ?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 06:45:29 pm »
I'm planning to use this after the apples have gone through the Winchester grinder, so they'll be mushy by that point, and the mush will be put into a muslin bag before squeezing with this press. I think this will work, but I haven't actually tried it yet. If any of you have made cider, clue me in, I'm a first-timer.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 08:37:55 pm »
I've done it in many old-time methods , but the last few years I just borrow a friends electric juicer & run the juice through a boiled piece of cheesecloth (doubled or tripled) in a large screen collander .
(She got the juicer from c'slist for $15).

After all the years & hassle of doing it manually , I'm sold on the electric method - esp. because I deep-freeze the stuff right away (cover the liquid with saran wrap first, in lge-mouthed containers) & enjoy the uncooked cider more .
Using a juicer really minimizes waste , v.s. hand methods & makes great compost .
It's easy to make flavor-blends in this way that the cooked apple can't compare with , flavor & richness-wise .
It still tastes like fresh-pressed after thawing .

You can pressure cook/cook the juice in Ball jars & so forth , if you're thinking/must have pasteurized .