Author Topic: Tiles Depicting Medieval Scenes  (Read 4130 times)

chojin

• View Profile
Tiles Depicting Medieval Scenes
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:49:41 pm »
Hi, these tiles used to belong to my grandmother and my mom wanted to know what time period they were from. I'm thinking early 1900's, late 1800's, but I really don't know.  If anybody could help that would be great.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:24:20 pm by chojin »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Tiles Depicting Medieval Scenes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »
Can you post pics of the reverse side of the tiles?  and is there any other markings on the back?.  It appears to be hand painted and maybe a bit earlier time frame based on style.  That motif would be a bit out of fashion in the early 1900's.  Maybe not would like to see if more clues lie on the back.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:24 am »
I would suggest, these tiles are English pre 1874. they were being imported too the U.S. for several years prior to 1874. they became so popular that in 1874 american pottery company's, started manufactoring there own due to there popularity.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:57:55 am »
Not to try and rain on a parade....but need to find a tell tale marking to determine that they weren't the ones made in the US in the early 1900's.

There is something that just doesn't sit right...can't put my finger on it right now........

Even tho they are of "English" scenes.....there is some hint of work by those that you see in fine Mexican tiles......probably the animated look in the 2nd tile that is grabbing my attention the most.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:26:21 am »
I assume there 6x6's ? a view of the back may determine there fate. trash or treasure.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:47:45 am »
Also, can anyone tell me what is in the window of the coach?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:59 pm »
And is the driver riding a goat that is riding the horse.  Wonder if there is symbolism here  ;D.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:35:02 pm »
KC , it's a purple-hatted finger atop a beheaded Kermit torso .
Do you need glasses , or something ?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
Someone beheaded Kermit? Sad day I tell ya.  LOL

chojin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »
Mom:
Thanks for the response. I wont be able to post pics for a couple of days, but the tiles are about 8x8. They are not porcelain and do not have any markings. They appear to be more plasterish, and are grainy, and off white. I believe my mom said the guy she purchased them from said they were from England.  They framed a fireplace, I can't remember if she had the frame and removed them or not, it was 30 years ago or so.  Anyway donkeys are pulling the cart, and a very small figure with a ruffled collar is along for the ride.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »
Thanks for the info....need my specs changed!  :)

Look forward to seeing pics of the backs!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 12:36:24 am »
Large tiles ( bigger than 6" x 6" ) are/were pretty expensive to produce , and in the mid-ish 1800's through the early 1900's , they tended to be produced with alot of care & detail ; more common sizes were 6 x 6 & smaller .

It's my feeling that the tiles you've posted have a style whose artistic 'primative' perspectives are a bit too 'forced' , and don't fit into the early 1900's catagory .

They seem more like replications to me , perhaps whimsical in design , or perhaps just cheapo's .
Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be rude about your items ..I'm just sayin ..........

Here's some examples of 8 x 8 tiles of the era mentioned above .

BTW - lots of pre-1980's tiles have asbestos in their composition ... not such a bad idea to encapsulate potentially friable areas of such tiles (unglazed parts) used for display .
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:49:00 am by regularjoe2 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »
I can say that these could even resemble (style decor whimsy) of some tiles that I remember seeing from Portugal in the 70's.

chojin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 01:17:52 pm »
She underestimated the size of some of the tiles by almost two inches.  Here's some new pics.
Mom: Tiles vary.  They're not all uniform.  Back base is yellow brick?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 01:27:47 pm by chojin »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »
     O.k. not at all what I thought the backs would look like.   First I really find these tiles really cool items.  How many of these tiles do you have?  I'm not the tile expert at all, did look around a bit and found that these tiles well go back really far in history and even are still popular today.  How to verify the date could be a challange, no signture or marks.  Even in the folk art world of the unknown Artist produced tiles like these.  It does seem that all the tiles have come from the same artist, and not just a collection of Tiles from Portugal.  The grazing and the hand painted art would say that someone really put the effort into these tiles, they don't scream "tourist buy me".  You did mention they belong to your grandmother, I think this rules out any post 70 date.  From the looks of the pics I would even say they are surely pre 40's.  Maybe a better look at the back may lead to a clue from someone here, Doesn't look much like the backs of a cermaic or porcelain tile. Really rough and concrete like.  Sure it is not but just not what I was expecting to see.   I have seen these tiles listed in Annual books with pretty high price tags.   I think these items need lots of looking into it smells like you may have something of intrest to me here.