Author Topic: Really old coke bottle. Any info?  (Read 1926 times)

Carly Sassypaws

• View Profile
Really old coke bottle. Any info?
« on: August 18, 2009, 04:59:58 pm »
The bottle was machine made i'm guessing in Beaumont, Texas.  75th anniversary. I'm wondering what these go for.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Really old coke bottle. Any info?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:37:12 pm »
I think it is $25 - $100 if I've got the correct one on this page:

http://www.gono.com/museum2003/commbottles/75thannivcocacola.htm

Click on the key to the "Key to Terms and Symbols" link to understand the coding. It seems to have been made in 1982, despite the old-fashioned style of the bottle. If I'm not mistaken, it is a revival of the old style, not the original, but still collectable for its rarity. Only 2000 were produced.

Coca-Cola was first sold at soda fountains by the glass in 1886 and really hit the big time when they got the idea to bottle it in 1894. Here is some history from the company Web site:
http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/ourcompany/historybottling.html

Just a little side note, the original beverage had cocaine in it, before it was illegal. There were lots of products produced with cocaine, such as toothache drops for children. Einstein was really a big fan of Mariani's Coca Wine. I think I recall reading that he didn't require much sleep... (LOL I wonder why?!!) I've always thought it interesting that Coca-Cola retained the "Coca" part of the name. It was just too much of an icon to change it, even when "the real thing" became illegal.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:35 am »
Just a causal observance, but I would think if it was the genuine article the glass would have bubbles and the bottom would be thicker.  Coca~Cola reissued their original 1916 bottle design about a decade ago with various cities on the bottom.  I and a serious collector friend bought a case each.  They must have used the original castings because one couldn't tell the difference from the repros and the originals.  The outcry from collectors was heard from coast to coast.  Coke immediately stopped but the damage had been done.  Since then the small bottle was still produced but with a painted coke design on it.  Now I think all you can get are the plastic bottles...

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:35:27 am »
For you ''Young'' people on board. the ''Real'' Coke was something else. a real thirst Quencher. it had a fizz that was worth waiting fore. one drink burned the nose & throat. it was only 5 cent's a bottle!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:28 am »
I collected Coke bottle/cans for many years and have quite a nice collection.  I agree about the reuse of the original castings for the bottles and was thinking that the first time I observed the post.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:18 pm »
what you have is a 1981 beaumont,tx. hutchinson commemorative reproduction coca-cola bottle.

if it were in top condition with original packaging,$200 in the right market.

yours is chipped & cracked,so is worth a lot less.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:32:14 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "