Author Topic: Holtzman ice cream parlor piano stool?  (Read 4018 times)

Kazooers

• View Profile
Holtzman ice cream parlor piano stool?
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:22:26 am »
Looks like ice-cream parlor marked  Holtzman & sons. Any info appreciated. age, value. Thanks Tom

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Holtzman ice cream parlor piano stool?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:01:26 am »
This appears to be a Holtzman & son Piano stool , Columbus Ohio, I believe the company stared  around 1924 as far as the  exact date of your piece I can not say.  approx value Under $70.00 it looks as if your stool has been repainted & the original wood seat replaced. Could you post a photo of the underside of the seat?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:47:02 am »
I'm gonna cast my vote for an ice cream parlor stool.

Although Holtzman did make piano stools they made wood and cast iron ones. I've never seen a piano stool that was twisted "wire" fashion. Because of the pedal action required when playing a piano, I believe this type of chair would have too much bounce, which throws off the hands slightly when you play. You have to have a really stable seat. It does look like they borrowed the height adjustment screw mechanism from their piano models in this, but I can't imagine comfortably playing a piano from this type of stool.

Here's a piano stool made by Holtzman:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:49:23 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:54 am »
 Tales Found one sold on ebay this June with original seat  Item #160340169586  But I agree does not look very comfortable.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
I don't see any reason that could not be an Ice Cream Parlor table.

Strip it, paint it and put an original size top back on it and it would go good with the 2 Ice Cream Parlor chairs there at the dining table.

Kazooers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:58:07 pm »
Hi, thank you all for your response. After taking a closer look I'm betting that it’s all original. The seat is 12'' dia cast iron about 3/16 thick with a raised ring underneath  in the center to which the screw flange is riveted to. No signs of any way to attach a cover or seat top. Flange is not screwed but riveted from the bottom the rivets look to be part of the casting and do not show from the top surface. As to the rigidity of the stool  I’m 200lbs and there is no give or bounce to it. The screw is seized at a height of about 22’’I haven’t done any thing to it yet. looks to have eleventeen dozen coats of paint. But it’s very ornate and I think a proper restoration  would bring out it’s true beauty. I’ve owned holtzman stools and have ice cream furniture and I don’t think this is something fabricated, I’ve just never seen anything like it nor could I find anything on the internet. I Just looked at the one on ebay. That’s the same bottom as mine. I’d be willing to bet that my top is original. What do you think?  Thanks again Tom.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:23:51 pm »
Also could be a photographers stool .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:03 pm »
Just curious, how sturdy is this?

Would tend to lean toward ice cream parlor furniture.  They did have piano players in some of the shops - corner drugs had soda fountains and pianos - the place to go for all round entertainment!

Saw where Holtzman also produced with  Holtzman & Martin   maybe that may lead you somewhere else.

Wondering is this was a custom or remake?   Could even be a very old remake!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:41:34 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:26:23 am »
Looking at the picture "with a raised ring underneath  in the center to which the screw flange is riveted to" ...... I'm guessing there are ball bearings in there that permits the seat to swivel round n' round. That is after you get some WD-40 in there to losen things up. ;) ;)