Author Topic: Chinese Panel ?  (Read 7859 times)

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Panel ?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:15:12 pm »
Wow, thanks for that info Tales !!

From what you have explained and what I have read on the links you supplied, I take it that the plexiglass does not have a 'frame', similar to those seen in stores that consist of a clear front/back with some form of clip to hold them?  Not that I would consider using one of these, just trying to get a picture in my mind of exactly what I would be looking for.  I'm going to do some searching for someone local who is familiar with this type of preservation and who can supply me with what I need or at least point me in the right direction.  If I'm on the wrong track  visualizing it, please feel free to correct me...... I'm treading in unknown waters here  ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »
Plexiglass is just special plastic glass. It goes in a frame just like glass does. But since it is plastic, you can also make shadow boxes and display cases out of it, like the ones you see in museums.

You just want to keep the frame away from the cloth, because  a wooden frame has acid that can damage the cloth. As long as the cloth isn't touching the frame, it's OK to have a frame holding the plexiglass.

Also just so you know I'm not any kind of an authority on this, so please double-check everything against those sites I gave you. I just recently researched this myself, since I have that Chinese cloud collar to preserve and display.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »
What you need is Plexiglass MC or G.  These are the two UV plexs.  Any art store will have it available.  I work in a graphic display company when not acting like a Antique expert.  ;D.   As for a shadow box, just think of it as a really thick frame, that will allow for a thicker then picture item.  If you use matte board make sure it is Acid free or what is called Musuem Board.  If what you need is not that big.  I may be able to save you some money.  We toss out lots of plex and matte board all the time at work.  We usually deal in larger then 16x20.  So I could maybe set you and tales up with plex for just the cost of shipping if it is smaller then 16x20 in size.  Better then getting tossed in the land fill.   What I deal with is photos and graphics, I make my own frames and shadow boxes and matte up photo, what I don't know is how to attach the fabric safely to the matte board, what we use at work would ruin it.  But when it comes to mounting and frameing it just ask, I will be glad to help. 

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:38 pm »
That is such a sweet offer Ironlord!! Unfortunately I'm quite a distance from you I believe. As well, my piece measures 39 x 39.  Could be an interesting hunt on my part.  Believe it or not I just came across a beautiful frame on Kijiji. It's 43 x 43, appears to be a dark mahogany or walnut finish with slender, gold trim.  It was custom made by a well known, reputable framing store in the city, so I know that what they are asking is certainly less than 1/4 the original cost (I had priced framing a large print with them several years ago).  I may take a run in to look at it and at the same time check out suppliers for the plexiglass. It seems a shame to remove the print that is in it, but I could always hang onto it, just in case.  Thanks so much for the reference to the MC and G in regards to the plex.  Luckily I keep a notepad handy to scribble down all the advice I'm getting. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 10:32:32 pm »
   Yea 43 x 43 is rather large, Is the frame you found a Shadow box, or just a frame?.  You may want to keep space between the surface of the cloth and the plex.  This is one of the reasons for Matte board with photos, so it does not touch the glass or plex.  Make sure the frame is thick enough to take at least 3 layers of Matte and cardstock thick.  1/8" is kinda small, 1/4" at the least, 1/2" and above would be a shadow box.  Please if you can post pics when you are done.  I think this will be a spectcular wall decoration. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »
Aw gee thanks Ironlord!  :D That was really nice of you to offer! Unfortunately, to hold my cloud collar, I need 30"x30" Plex, set into a shadowbox. But if you can purchase it wholesale, maybe we can figure something out that I can purchase.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:38:43 pm »
You might want to do what I am doing for mounting your piece. After checking with Alden and the DAR Museum, I'm creating a pillow of cotton, covering it with cotton cloth, and then attaching that to the acid-free backboard. Then VERY carefully I'll be adding a few neccessary anchor stitches to attach the cloud collar to the cotton pillow. This will then go into the shadowbox. Mine has to hang diagonally, point down.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39:56 pm »
If it comes down to it and you have a price.  We have a killer vendor discount at Laird Plastics, but to ship something like that would kill the cost.  We ship plex that size all the time, cost almost $100.00, so you will get a better deal local I'm sure, but if you ever need a small piece.  Cost you only a few bucks in shipping.  It is sad the amount of waste we generate at Stella Color in Seattle.  Foam, Gatorborad, Plex, adhesive, Laminates and etc.  You need any you just let me know, Serious just the cost of shipping.  

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 10:54:11 pm »
It is just a regular frame from what I can tell.  I'm 'hoping' it has enough depth, having one made that size could become overly costly for me.  Hubby and I are both quite handy with the tools, so have given some thought to the possibility of adding some depth using trim on the back.  Where it will be hanging it would never be noticed and would allow me the space I need to properly enclose it.  I so wish we didn't have to be DIY'ers, but then again if that were the case I wouldn't have walked into that thrift shop to begin with.   ;)

We'll see what comes of my trip to town.......if nothing else I will have learned a bit more and have some names/figures to work with.

Here is a pic of the frame I'm going to take a look at.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 11:40:36 pm »
   I've never have added depth to a frame but I don't see why not.  From What I see this would have little depth to work with.  One good way is to mount it to a backer and Double Matte at least on the between the backer.  This would be difficult if you mount to a cotton pillow kind of thing.  If you ues a standard frame you will have to find a way to mount right to the Backer Board. (which can be Acid free matte).  This is where I fall short, anything I have done would be wrong for you to do.  Also keep in mind that a Matted method will cost a bit in just cutting two matte board that size.  All in All I would find away to extend the depth, or maybe build a shadow box.  They are pretty easy to make and look wonderful will old Wood you can get for free.   But now that I think about it that would be too rustic of a look for your item.   I think it need something equal in looks, that is a nice Panel.   I thnk if you have a good woodworking friend or the tools you can build your own for 50 buck maybe and would look really good.   

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 04:38:38 am »
I had to smile as I read your post ironlord.  I'd been laying in bed trying to wake up and thinking more about the frame.  I guess most of our best thinking is done in bed. :) I totally overlooked a gentleman just down the road from me who is an accomplished craftsman and who has on different occasions offered to make something I might have needed (or plow my driveway, etc).  Guess it's true about the brain cells dying. I'm going to see what I can find in instructions on making a shadowbox, but as his wife is heavy into crafts it's possible he's already made one for her or her friends.  Wish me luck!   ;)

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:42 am »
Thanks for posting all the images of your item , sapphire (and welcome to the forum) .

As some others have mentioned , perhaps a professional cleaning should come first (before framing) ... sometimes even the best treatment of items will cause a bit of further damage (to fibers , dyes , etc.) ; time-to-time , repairs need to be done post-cleaning (and pre-cleaning).
Doing so would avoid the future problems of dismounting , disassembly & re-doing the whole framing/blocking process .

I just think it's easier to do it right the first time ... also think it's worth it to 'take your time' doing so .
Once you're done , you'll have something that you won't have to hassle with & can sit back & enjoy !

I will also add that there are other , somewhat inventive & time-consuming methods of framing/matting fabric items , besides shadow-boxes .
Let's face it , a frame is intended to 'frame' an item within it ... I say choose the type/style of frame that you'd prefer your embroidered be shown in , for it's lifetime .
I think a frame can certainly add to , or subtract from the appearance of a finished unit .

Considering the facts you've related about the fragility of your item , I'd agree with the other members who posted about mounting yours on another piece of fabric , professional cleaning , acid-free mat'ls , and of course UV protection .

Wishing you all the best with your project !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 12:28:07 pm »
LIke regularjoe's comments above.  In addition, you do want some space between the frame and piece...allows air and less damage from light.
Also...make sure of the area you display it in that it has artificial lighting....very little natural light....UV rays will kill it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 05:50:14 pm »
:( When I saw the title of this thread I was hoping it referred to a Kesi. Recently bought one from probably the best asian antiquities dealer in the world- Anthony J. Allen. Just thought I'd throw his name around, so if anyone is ever in New Zealand they could look him up. Very, very highly respected dealer, and author of four books on asian antiques and antiquities. If anyone is further interested in asian antiques or antiquites, just message me and I can get you in contact with him. Great guy, and one of the best knowledge sources out there on Asian antiques.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »
Regularjoe is right on about take time to do it right, Try and visualize what would look best for it on the wall and accent it.   As a general rule in photography if you add a colored matte to the item, pick a color in the item that has just a touch in the image / item, and this will bring it alive, or if there is a part of the image / item you want to bring out, find the color that contrast it.  But do take you time to find the right frame or mounting technique, you will and you have something you can and will share for generations to come.