Author Topic: Old stove?  (Read 1750 times)

Lshaughnessy

• View Profile
Old stove?
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:07:34 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I acquired this stove at an auction this past weekend and I can't find anything on it. Does anyone know anything about it? How old is it? Maybe what it's worth? I know it needs to be cleaned up and fixed a bit but I just thought it was so cute, I had to buy it.

Thanks,
Liz

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Old stove?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »
I LOVE old stoves! What a fun restoration project this could be! Are you going to restore and use it? Display it? Or have it outside?

Although this isn't the answer you were looking for this company has a Windsor stove operating manual available for $2.00:
http://www.goodtimestove.com/store/p/603-Windsor-Kitchen-Stoves-Operation-Instructions.html

And they also have a list of resources for researching your stove, even though they do not offer this service. It looks like these resources could be very good leads, especially the Antique Stove Association:
http://www.goodtimestove.com/antique_stove_research.html
Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:51:02 am »
Those old gas models are popular when fixed up (semi-restored) and used as accent pieces in large country kitchens.  People put plants and such on the burners.  They, unlike their older wood burning cousins, aren't worth near as much.  But, a check-mark in the plus column, they're smaller and lighter in weight.  I'm currently working on a 'Round Oak' wood burning parlor stove.  Those old stoves, gas, coal or wood burning, are cool. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:41:26 am »
Railman, I'd love to see photos of your stove and how the restoration is progressing. I'd love to replace my modern stove with one of the ones that does both gas and woodburning someday. There are some really neat ones. I love those black ones with the nickle trim. Way cool.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 11:42:05 am »
Railman, I'd love to see photos of your stove and how the restoration is progressing. I'd love to replace my modern stove with one of the ones that does both gas and woodburning someday. There are some really neat ones. I love those black ones with the nickle trim. Way cool.
The best of both worlds is to have kitchen large enough to accomodate both the modern range and the old wood burning stove.  The nickel trim really jumps out and yells class.  The stove I'm working on is a parlor stove and not a kitchen stove.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:48:05 am »
I know what you mean- one of the free-standing little guys. I'd love to see it.

I wish I did have room for both types of stoves, my kitchen is interesting. When the house was expanded in the 1950's they took what had been a long porch down the side of the house, and turned it into the kitchen. What had been the kitchen, became my little dining room. The kitchen is all windows along two sides, where the screen windows used to be. So it's long, open and sunny. But no real room for a big ol' antique stove, unless I ditched the modern one!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:52:12 am by talesofthesevenseas »