Author Topic: Egg and Wishbone  (Read 4162 times)

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
Egg and Wishbone
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:15:22 pm »
This small container was in my great uncle's house. He passed away in 1957. He was an oilman and traveled all over the world' This an egg on wishbones. It seems to be handmade. I put the quarter in the picture so you can judge the size. It seems quite heavy for its size. I am thinking that it is gold plated but not sure. It has been in our house since '54 and has kept its luster without polishing. I have checked it with a jeweler's glass and can't seem to find any mark (including a gold mark) Has anyone seen anything like this before? I have done some searches and have come up empty,

railman44

• View Profile
Re: Egg and Wishbone
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:53:34 pm »
If it's quite heavy, it very well could be 18k or better gold.  A competent jeweler should be able to tell you even without any markings.  Interesting and neat looking item.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:58:00 pm »
Are there any hallmarks or inscriptions? Maybe on the inside or the underside?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
No hallmarks or markings

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »
I would have to guess that it is just brass if there are no hallmarks at all. I think it is doubtful that anyone would make something of gold and not mark it.

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »
Brass will dull in time while gold or gold plate will not.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:44 am »
Ah... I stand corrected then. Thanks!
:)

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 12:45:05 am »
Tales, I'm just guessing too regarding any gold content.  But it's been my understanding other metals will form a patina over time with the exception of silver which will tarnish.  It will be interesting if he ever takes it to a jeweler.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:57:14 am »
I think that only old, old gold coins and gold items claimed by the English or Spanish government, etc. had any sort of "marks" on them prior to say the 1800's..

So, one travelling the world could find all sorts of "unmarked" gold items if they got lucky. Especially "blackmarket" antiquity gold. Don't forget, the Spanish melted down tons of Aztec gold for shipment back to Spain and they didn't get it all.

It seems like every week now that somewhere around the world someone "digs up" a cache or stash of gold items.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:03:20 am »
Have you check the inside of the clasp for markings? If this was made by a jeweler they sometimes put marks in odd curved and very hard to read places. Makes me think of a ring box. A velvet puff placed in the bottom to hold engagement ring & given wishing she says yes (hence the wishbones) Just thinking outloud. Please anyone who figures this one out let me know!!!!

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 05:10:01 am »
Anything is possible but I just can't believe something that delicate with that kind of craftsmanship is made from brass.  Gold is so malliable it just makes sense to me.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 05:16:36 am »
It may just be the lighting but the inside color looks lighter than the outside color.

That shouldn't be if gold, right or wrong?

railman44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:15:38 am »
I think it's the different lighting.  The exterior seems to be a different color in each photo.  It is possible the inside is a different color as there are different colors of gold available.  Who ever made this is a worthy craftsman. 

mikeinhouston

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 09:19:50 am »
The interior is lighter. That is why I keep thinking it may be gold clad. I have checked every square inch of this for some marks but can't find any. the first picture shows the correct color while the second is off color for some reason.  I will take it to a jeweller this weekend to check. I was wondering if anyone had ever seen anything like this object. I know that in Russia and the eastern European countries that the egg is symbolic of joy and life and in many countries the wishbone represents the granting of a wish. I am just guessing here.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 09:28:50 am »
The easiest thing for you to do is take it to a reputable jeweler.

My first impression of the interior is a silver and it wouldn't tarnish inside with the lid being closed....however there are other metals that gold is clad to.

I have seen silver and brass wishbones over the years....just never a gold one.  If in fact it is.....you have the golden egg that we have all read about over the years!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!