Author Topic: Any Steiff collectors / interest out there?  (Read 47330 times)

Steiffgal

• View Profile
Re: Any Steiff collectors / interest out there?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 06:06:48 pm »
Will also post a picture I have a very cute little blue steiff mouse if I can find him (hope one of my precious puppies did not find him!!!!)

Cool, I am trying to picture a Steiff blue mouse.  Nothing comes to mind.  You might just stump the chump here!   ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 01:23:51 am »
OK here is my "Kitty Puppet". (Sorry, I was not terribly creative naming my toys when I was four!) She is pictured here with Peep, who is a professional Steiff look-alike, model, and Beverly Hills socialite. My God the resemblance is astounding!!!!

Here's the photo you really need, showing condition and such:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:51:17 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »
Tales she looks as if she was well loved!! priceless

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:18 pm »
Tales she looks as if she was well loved!! priceless

Oh, she is totally lovely.  Can't see her button so impossible to give you her approximate birth date.  However, I have seen similar Steiff cat puppets in like condition sell in the $30-50 range overall.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »
There is no button, I probably took it off as a kid. But I know it was given to me in about 1965 and it was new then, so there's no question about the date, give or take a year. I don't think the colors were ever as bright as on the example in Steiffgal's post. I think the white was always more of a cream color. It's not dirty, but it could have yellowed/faded with age.

The one I saw priced at $135 was in the same kind of condition, but this was in a retail antique store, so I think a lot of that price is retail mark-up and pre-economic crash pricing. Probably would be good for an insurance value. Steiffgals estimate is probably right-on if for Ebay or collectors I would think.

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:56 pm »
There is no button, I probably took it off as a kid. But I know it was given to me in about 1965 and it was new then, so there's no question about the date, give or take a year. I don't think the colors were ever as bright as on the example in Steiffgal's post. I think the white was always more of a cream color. It's not dirty, but it could have yellowed/faded with age.

The one I saw priced at $135 was in the same kind of condition, but this was in a retail antique store, so I think a lot of that price is retail mark-up and pre-economic crash pricing. Probably would be good for an insurance value. Steiffgals estimate is probably right-on if for Ebay or collectors I would think.

Yes the recession has taken a HUGE chunk out of the value of Steiff collectibles, at least that's what I have observed.  I just purchased something at auction that 5 years ago would have gone for $1200 go for $200 last month.  Really bad for sellers, great for collectors in the short run.

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 07:22:52 pm »
Here's a blog post on an entire Steiff collection.  Take a look if you can!

It's all in the family! Check out this column I just posted about a collection of Steiff collectibles that spans three generations.
http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/2009/09/three-generations-of-steiff.html

Steiffgal spills the beans about the best way to shop for vintage Steiff items.  Check it out at http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/2009/09/hunting-tips-for-steiff-gatherers.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:48:10 pm by Steiffgal »

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 06:34:32 pm »
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Check out this recession-inspired blog post on unique Steiff eye treatments! http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/2009/09/eyes-have-it.html

Steiffgal

• View Profile
check out this Steiff teddy that's alot older than you are.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 07:13:44 pm »
You should look so good at 104 years old.  Check out this blog post on a unusual center-seamed Steiff Teddy born long before you. http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/2009/09/keeping-things-centered-with-steiff.html

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 07:19:56 pm »
     Thanks Steiff, you now have me looking through the stuffed animals at the thrift shop, fighting little kids over a bear just to see the tag  ;D.  Wasn't enough fighting the ladies for teacup, Guys and their silverplate, now I get to tangle with the kids too.  I must be a sight to watch at the thrift shops.  :o

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 10:35:37 am »
     Thanks Steiff, you now have me looking through the stuffed animals at the thrift shop, fighting little kids over a bear just to see the tag  ;D.  Wasn't enough fighting the ladies for teacup, Guys and their silverplate, now I get to tangle with the kids too.  I must be a sight to watch at the thrift shops.  :o

Well you never know!  Steiff is worth the good fight. LOL

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 12:28:24 am »
Hey Steiffgal,

A collection of Steiff animals just came up on our local Craigslist. Thought of you right away! I don't know if any of them are ones you are interested in, but I thought it might be worth dropping this guy an email or a phone call to see how much he's got. The collection belonged to his mum and includes some mohair animals.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/1380128058.html

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 02:48:43 pm »
Hey Steiffgal,

A collection of Steiff animals just came up on our local Craigslist. Thought of you right away! I don't know if any of them are ones you are interested in, but I thought it might be worth dropping this guy an email or a phone call to see how much he's got. The collection belonged to his mum and includes some mohair animals.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/1380128058.html

Thank you!  You are incredibly nice for thinking of me, most appreciate it.  Most of these are pretty modern... I tend to focus on the early post WW2 stuff.  So I will take a pass, but again, BIG thanks for the heads up!

Steiffgal

• View Profile
New Steiff blog post up... Steiff Boxers!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 02:49:44 pm »
New blog post up!  Let's step into the ring and talk about boxers, vintage Steiff boxer dogs, that is. Check it out at http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/2009/09/stepping-into-ring-with-steiff-boxers.html

Steiffgal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 12:18:02 pm »