Author Topic: help identifying 100+ year old oriental vase  (Read 2293 times)

esk22

• View Profile
help identifying 100+ year old oriental vase
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:06:18 am »
Please help me identify this vase which is a family piece that has been passed down to me. I know that it is over 100 years old. The markings are in gold on the bottom and I have sketched a picture of what they look like because they don't show up well in a photo. I have attached photos. Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: help identifying 100+ year old oriental vase
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:51 am »
Sent this info on to my good friend who specializes in Asian art/design.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:36:19 am »
Just received a reply from my friend:

Wow! It is very beautiful piece...

Japan's pottery art "developed?" after war with Korea because they got lots of good Korean pottery artists in the war.
They had pottery art, but it was not as good as Korean or Chinese one, but Japanese gave very good support for those Korean pottery artists to develop good pottery.
In mid 18c, they finally developed "Arita" style which your friend have.
Also, China which was famous and biggest pottery art county had a big war in their nation around mid 17c. They had a hard time to develop other things little while.
So European got pottery business with Japan. Then Japan became an important and famous country for pottery business with "Arita" style... It also gave influence for impressionism in Europe. It also lead Japan's economy and power from 19c...

I think it could be 19c piece because the style began from Mid 18c then it became famous 19c... 

p.s. it is based on history book, so if your friend is interesting. They can look for "pottery war between Korea and Japan" or " Arita" style...
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

esk22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:21:32 pm »
KC-Thank you SO much for the info! Very interesting and informative!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:34:31 pm »
esk22, I couldn't help but notice the similarity between the mark you copied and this one.  Oddly enough this is on a Satsuma piece (was checking out marks relating to a piece of my own).  It was located under Satsuma, in the Recent Additions section, near the bottom.  No. 821. Also some of the styles are close. I haven't popped over to the Arika section yet.....you may find further info there that relates to your vase.

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/index_jap_marks.htm

esk22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:56 pm »
Sapphire,
So funny you should mention this, I should saw a satsuma piece that looks very similar to mine. Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:23:04 pm »
Although the marks may look similar....they have different meanings.  This is definitely something my Asian friends as tried to beat into my head over and over again.Kind of like in English....just because an identifier starts out the same doesn't make the words the same (words starting with id - identify, idolize, ideal, identical, ideology, idol  (I know antique-shop gang...the word idiot goes in here as well....but do not want the postee to think I am suggesting such a thing because I AM NOT!!!   If anything...it helps identify me many times! :)  ) 

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 05:19:44 pm »
Although the marks may look similar....they have different meanings.  This is definitely something my Asian friends as tried to beat into my head over and over again.Kind of like in English....just because an identifier starts out the same doesn't make the words the same (words starting with id - identify, idolize, ideal, identical, ideology, idol  (I know antique-shop gang...the word idiot goes in here as well....but do not want the postee to think I am suggesting such a thing because I AM NOT!!!   If anything...it helps identify me many times! :)  ) 

So if I was wanting to identify an object, the style would be the first area to research....then the maker?  Some of those marks are so elaborate and complicated you almost have to break them down like code.  ;)