Author Topic: Help needed with Richard Crossley Basting Spoon  (Read 4446 times)

mjgrays

• View Profile
Help needed with Richard Crossley Basting Spoon
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:28 pm »
Hi

I have in my possession a 1797/8 Basting spoon made by Richard Crossley. I have researched as much as I can find online and cannot find a value for the spoon as similar items from the same maker vary in price.

It has from what I have researched, The Crowned Leopard, Lion, King George III and the letter "B" which I believe to be 1797/98.

Also there is a crest of what looks similar to the letter B at the tail end of the spoon.

The spoon is 12" long.

Does anybody have any knowledge on Richard Crossley and these spoons and an idea of what the Value of the item is.

Thanks

Mike

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Help needed with Richard Crossley Basting Spoon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:30 pm »
Mike the average value is. $350.00 Dollars. but fair warning, at a well advertised auction it could easily exceed that.

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:52:52 pm »
The only one I've ever seen at auction went for around $140 USD. Same date, but it was a soup ladle. The high estimate was $225 USD. I hope this helps you, and sorry for the bad news in regards to a lower price! But unfortunately I have never seen any sole piece of flatware by Crossley go that high- but good luck!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:36:18 pm »
A pair of crossley spoon's recently sold at auction for $3,000.00 Dollars.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:17 pm »
    Can you post a pic or two, I'm a lover of flatware and would love to see it.    Make sure the font on the B is the correct one on the date mark.  If truely you have a 18c piece you have a rare one to say the least.  Not much has survived the test of time when it comes to silver, used to make coinage, One of the first highly recycled metal, and with flatware espically, cause usely when they are handed down they we melted for money, and not to mention a couple of high spikes in the silver market, the most recent in the 1980's.  I have got a couple of mid 19th century piece but could not afford any thing as old as that.  I have little information on Crossley, at least yet  ;D.  I'm going to get some edumatcation write Now on that.  Just wanted to point out the rareity of items that old, espically a Spoon, even a big spoon like a basting spoon. 

luxetveritas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:50 pm »
Where did they sell at $3000 D&B? I understand the rarity of such pieces considering the age, but that seems fairly pricey for two Crossley spoons. I could be wrong, but I have never seen any over 200 pounds.

mjgrays

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 03:59:18 am »
Hi Thanks for all the replies, I will take some photos of item later his evening and put the pics up on here. Although the problem at the moment with the spoon is that is not very clean. Is it best to leave the spoon in it's current condition and get it cleaned by an expert or attempt myself!! (sounds a bit of an obvious question, when I read it back to myself!!)

Thanks again

Mike

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:55:25 am »
Agree with D&B on pricing for highend on out right sale.

This market has been so unpredictable.  The one thing I do know...the silver items that I have been searching for years have not gone down in this economy, but have gone up!  Odd!  Typically they would have remained the same or gone down.  As far as top name silver items, it is still a sellers market and people that don't monitor pricing think the economy is bad so I am getting a great deal and pay it.  Bottom line, the ones with the money, do...and the ones with very little, don't!

Would like to see a pic.  Why don't you post once first...without being cleaned.  Unless you know how to clean silver (not that hard) you would be best to leave it until one of the sets of eyes here view it.  post front and back please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mjgrays

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 11:33:15 am »
Here are the pics the best I could do them.....

mjgrays

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 11:35:20 am »
the rest....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:56 am »
Okay....question of the moment....is it chocolate/muddler spoon instead of a basting spoon?

Chocolate pots were made with shorter spouts closer to the top of the pots.  Elongated chocolate/muddle spoons were made to insert into the spout and stir the chocolate before pouring.  (This was a delicacy and true sign of affluency!)

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
The length indicates.it's a stuffing spoon.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:23:06 am »
WONDERFUL spoon!! Looking up your hallmarks, it looks like Richard Crossley made this one in 1797 in London England.
http://www.925-1000.com/dlLondon11.html#M
There is a very similar spoon shown on the page below, labled as a stuffing spoon, as D&B said.
http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

I'm not sure what hallmark #4 is, reading from left to right. Is that a letter R?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mjgrays

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:23 am »
it looks to be a head

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 05:57:52 am »
Tales, thanks for posting the link to that site.......now I can start digging the old silver out of the cedar chest!  ;)