Author Topic: Huntchback Item-What Is It??  (Read 5048 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Huntchback Item-What Is It??
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »
If anyone has an opinion on what this is or how old they think it may be I'd be interested.
I bought it out of a old antique store in Detroit.
Thanks

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Huntchback Item-What Is It??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:44:55 am »
Neat, but you didn't give any dimensions or what it was made of.

Looks to be maybe a plinth block for a front entrance doorway or the end piece of a mantle of a huge fireplace. Or it could be off the façade of a building.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:04:17 am »
Dean we really do need to know what it is made of as Cogar said.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:46:23 am »
I agree with the plinth. long shot it's a book end.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:20 am »
Yes, looking at it sideways, it is a bookend.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:49:26 am »
The 'hang' of the clothing indicates that the figure is reclining .

Bookend sure looks like the answer .

I'm curious about the 'defect' near the mans' feet ... was it damaged , or does it look 'original' to the sculpting (was there something else attached , perhaps) ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:43:28 am »
Sorry about the incomplete description.

It measures 14"X6"X6" and has been previously repaired at the bottom portion.
My guess is it looks like there was additional hole at the bottom for securing this portion and maybe was broken when trying to remove. What do you think?

The item seems to be made out of a plaster or chalkware and is filthy dirty.When you pick it up to take a photo you'll end up having to wash your hands. Any suggestions if and how it should be cleaned?

Also a curious marking on one side. Don't know if that means anything.

Thanks you for your input
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:45:51 am by Dean Perdue »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:46:52 am »
Since the metal suspension loops and chain are set in the plaster and would have to be original to it and not added, I don't think it was intended as a bookend. It looks to my non-professional eyes like it is not very old, maybe 1990's and something that would have been marketed to the Goth crowd. I would have to cast my vote for modern Goth decor. Check out the "antiqued" wash that it seems to have painted over it. This is especially visible on the side where the marking is. I'm voting decorative rather than functional, Goth decor, circa 1990's. It looks like it has got a repair to a nasty break in it also, so I don't think there is much real value. Unfortunately, a lot of antique shops sell reproductions and just plain "old looking" stuff right alongside actual antiques. I could be totally wrong on this, but that's what it looks like to me! Correct me if this sounds off please, I'm here to learn!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:49:14 am by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »
Thanks for the observations and opinions. I am open minded and appreciate thoughts on this and am here to learn also.
Although there is no concrete proof here is why I thought it was old:
I just now took a wet sponge on a small area and it cleaned off without effort. It shows white after a quick wipe. If it had even a cheap antique wash on it would it have been this easy to remove? Also if it has a antique wash they sure did a great job in applying the wash in the hardest to get to areas.
There are some cocoons in the recesses of it.
It is filthy dirty.Why would a repro be sold in this state? + I've never seen a similar one.
If Its a repro why woud it be broken and repaired?
The 2 sides and bottom of it seems to have along the back edge a 3/8" border to it where it looks like it was framed in or recessed.

The source where I bought it is in the heart of old Detroit and has allot of salvage from old homes and buildings where these type of artichtectual peices can still be found. More and more of these historic dwellings are being demolished to make way for a 'New Detroit' for example Mich. Central Depot & Hudsons building.
No doubt it is decorative rather than functional but I'm not positive it's from the 90's.Is there a way to determine age on a chaulkware product?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:40:12 pm by Dean Perdue »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 01:06:49 pm »
Sounds like I'm off on this then and stand corrected on my previous post! Thanks!  :)

One comment- To the best of my knowledge, an architectural piece wouldn't have a metal hanger like that, so far as I have seen, but would have been an integral part of the building, not hung. This has me stumped! ???
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »
talesofthesevenseas-

Definately not saying your off or stand to be corrected. I do appreciate any and all the help thats out there and in no way think your points are not valid or wrong.
Repro's are all over and some made to deceive. I don't know where this actually was or if in fact how old it is or isn't.
Thank you for your take on it. Something for me to think about.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 01:29:32 pm »
Carnival Chalk first appeared in early 1800's in pennsyvania later here in the states 1900's or so. I do believe it represent's the Hunch back of Notre -dame I also believe it's likely to french.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 02:03:43 pm »
D&B Antiques-
Thanks for the chalkware info.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 02:08:36 pm »
D&b you beat me to it.  This is possibly early 1900's. Hunchback of Notre Dame. $45
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 09:25:58 pm »
     Being from Chalkware and having hangers on it, I would rule out being from a building.  I may be wrong but looks to me like if you had a pair you would have a good shelf Bracket.  This would be a guess, not sure I would comment on the age, but I bet a goth person would pay a pretty penny for it because of the unique look.