Author Topic: Info on a "character" jug I've come across  (Read 1371 times)

Tobyjuggler

• View Profile
Info on a "character" jug I've come across
« on: September 04, 2009, 11:42:02 am »
 Hi!  I'm new to this site and have a question...A friend of mine has a "character" or Toby Jug that's been in his family for ages - there is a mark stamped on the bottom in blue ink.  The jug is one of a seated monkey wearing a black tricorn hat and a peach colored jacket.  His right paw comes up behind his head and his left is cupped under his chin.  The tail curls up in the back to form the jug handle.  The body is grey.  The mark on the bottom is a shield with a crowned lion on the left and a winged wolf on the right.  The symbol on the shield and at the top of shield resembles an upside down pretzel.  I'm theorizing maybe a "victoria and albert" connection here.  Any thoughts?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Info on a "character" jug I've come across
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:47:21 am »
Does it look like this one? Photos of your friends exact one and the makers mark would really help. Sounds like the hands are different on yours.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »
Agree with tales   would love to see a pic....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:10:51 pm »
I agree need photos but a little info on Toby jugs -- They were first made by Ralph Wood in the 1760s and were imitated throughout Staffordshire & other parts of England. The name Toby comes from a famous engraving of a seated drinker holding a pipe & a mug of ale which was itself inspired by a popular song about Sir Toby Philpott.  Some Toby jugs had covers  and older ones still bring high prices with minor damage & lack of covers. ( sorry I'm such a nerd)