Author Topic: Silver Plated Vase  (Read 1774 times)

ifs

• View Profile
    • Tyler's Treasures
Silver Plated Vase
« on: September 05, 2009, 08:33:41 pm »
The engraving on the bottom looks like it reads "Marlford Silver Plate" the word after that is hard to make out, but it also looks like it says the word "Slate". It has the number "1418" engraved on the bottom as well.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Silver Plated Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:44:18 pm »
   You have a wonderful waste bowl or sugar bowl without the lid, not sure.  Does it appear to have a lip for a lid, or some wear along the rim that would indicate a lid.   If not then it could be a waste bowl.  Never heard of Marlford Silver plate, looked a bit in a few books and at replacements, can you get a better shot of the hallmark, is it possible it is Medford?    Based on appearance looks late victorian or real early 1900's.  If in fact it is a sugar bowl orphaned from it lid, the value would be a few bucks at best, Waste bowl maybe a bit more.  I will look a bit more for Marlford, but have a feeling it is Medford.

ifs

• View Profile
    • Tyler's Treasures
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 08:49:41 pm »
It's possible that it says Medford. The engraving is really scratched up, but it looks like there is an L in the word. These are the best pictures my camera could take and it's already very difficult to read as it is. It does seem that a lid may have gone with it.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:54:15 pm »
     Just piered around a bit more found a Marlford pattern done by National Silver,  Do you see a NSC anywhere on the base?  I would say you have a sugar bowl orphaned from it tea service and with a missing lid not much value. 

ifs

• View Profile
    • Tyler's Treasures
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 09:18:40 pm »
I can't find NSC, but I've identified the word I couldn't make out earlier to be "Quadruple".

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 09:22:20 pm »
Quadruple plate is the quality of the plate applied.  This is based on how long it stays in the silverplate bat, not to be confused as it has 4x the plate.  This just means it was a quality item at the time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 09:24:01 pm »
Have one just like it.  Quadruple silver plate - not worth much compared to real silver.  Waste bowl or sugar bowl w/o lid like Ironlord suggested.  Leaning toward waste bowl since the top is narrowed like the sugar bowl.
$5 - $9.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!