Author Topic: Ronald Reagan Army Portrait  (Read 2478 times)

jsmall

• View Profile
Ronald Reagan Army Portrait
« on: September 06, 2009, 03:18:20 pm »
Hey I've searched everywhere and anywhere for a picture identical to this.  Can anyone give me any additional information?  I was rummaging through some of my father's items and discovered it in the attic, fantastic shape.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Ronald Reagan Army Portrait
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »
Interesting photo JS. there are certain fact's that could be ascertained may be some one here can determine if he would have been allowed to wear the crossed swords of the cavalry on his uniform after 1937.
He became and officer of the Army Air force in 1942. it could give us a close date of the photo. I'am and ex Marine not familar with army reg's.

I would suggest the photo. is in the $50.00 to $ 100.00 Dollar range

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:43:31 pm »
I'm wondering if this is an actual 'original' photo , or a lithograph ?

Welcome to the forum , BTW .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:28:17 pm »
Could this have been from his movie?  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3555696384/tt0036430
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 02:44:43 pm »
"Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Lt. Reagan interrupted his acting career and went active duty.  This was not achieved without some difficulty because when he took his physical exam, he was not accepted for active duty due to eyesight difficulties.  His persistence finally triumphed and he was given another exam which he passed.  He was classified for limited service only, which permanently denied him his ambition of serving overseas.  His first assignment was at the San Francisco Port of Embarkation, Fort Mason, CA, as Liaison Officer of the Port and Transportation Office.

During this time, the Army Air Force and Warner Brothers Studios were planning a feature motion picture to be entitled "Air Force" and wanted Lt. Reagan for the leading role, so on May 15, 1942, he applied for transfer from the Cavalry to the AAF.  The transfer was approved and Lt. Reagan was assigned to AAF Public Relations as P.R. Officer in Burbank, CA and subsequently to the 1st Motion Picture Unit in Culver City.

Lt. Reagan was promoted to First Lieutenant, Jan. 14, 1943, and was sent to the Provisional Task Force Show Unit of "This is the Army" at Burbank.  Following this duty, he returned to the 1st Motion Picture Unit and on Jul. 22, 1943, was promoted to Captain.  Capt Reagan left Active Duty on December 9, 1945.  His commission in the Officer's Reserve Corps ended on April 1, 1953."

http://www.my.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/patriotic/reagan/life.html

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 04:57:17 pm »
Nice job sapphire!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:13:47 pm »
Nice job sapphire!

I was about to say the same thing. KC beat me to it.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events