Author Topic: Macbeth Plaque  (Read 3486 times)

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
Macbeth Plaque
« on: September 10, 2009, 11:25:31 am »
Any ideas on this items age or history is appreciated.
It seems to be made of a softer wax-like material (soapstone???) and measures 6"x3".
Thanks.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Re: Macbeth Plaque
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »
Dean it would appear you have a ''wax'' portrait. they were very popular in the 1920's most from england. the rare one's of washington & others being faked.

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:14:34 pm »
Thanks D&B-
Any idea on how these were made?
Were they poured into a mold then hand painted?

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:30 am »
Perhaps what you've got there is a sorta rare "Ivorex" Macbeth plaque .

If you 'google' or 'bing' Ivorex history , you should find a link to the story behind Osborne & Ivorex .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:58:40 am by regularjoe2 »

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:35:21 pm »
Thanks Regularjoe2-

The keyword Ivorex really helped out allot.
One site showed Macbeth was among those listed but it didn't show a photo or list the maker.The size listed was right on though.
Osborne seems to be the maker for the majority of these and I could not find G.E. Newcumber as being a company that manufactured these.
Appreciate your time in giving me the lead that opened up more info on these things.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:51:50 pm »
There were imitators of Osborne , paying him the highest complement , I suppose .

I have seen one about 30 years ago like yours  , with an Osborne inscription & someone elses' on the same piece ... can't for the life of me remember what/where/who the additional makers' inscription said , but it was from the same era & appeared to be original/authentic to that piece ( it wasn't a 'gift' engraving , but a maker's .. if you were wondering) .

Cool little plaque , Dean Perdue .

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 05:23:34 am »
Dean, I did a search using "Newcombe" and found this article.  It may give you another avenue to explore.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9F01E3DC1F3BE633A25755C2A9649D946296D6CF

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 06:31:33 am »
The history of Arthur Osborne and further down the page specific markings that can be found on their pieces.

http://www.ivorex.btinternet.co.uk/infopage.htm

On the list of known plaques you will find.....

The Gleaners 9¼x6¼ (inscribed Copyright Geo. Newcombe and co. New York USA 1913)

G.E. Newcombe would appear to the the importer/distributor in NY

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 08:14:44 pm »
Appreciate the additional links Sapphire. Everyone's input really helped me out in finding exactly what this item is.
This forum is a great learning resource thanks to all it's helpful members.

I did contact one of the sites you listed and they were nice enough to respond back stating:

"Your plaque is made of plaster of Paris which was then hand coloured with water colours before being dipped into hot paraffin wax to give it an Ivory-like finish, hence the name Ivorex.
The backs are usually inscribed with the Osborne copyright (pre 1928) or an ink stamp copyright (post 1928) but on some plaques Osborne also left off his own copyright and put and ink stamp of the retailer in its place much like major manufacturers makes 'own brands' for supermarkets today.

George E. Newcombe was a retailer of Osborne plaques, I think he was based in Chester as many Chester scene plaque bear his inkstamp.  Osborne still placed his AO mark within the scenes although on my example of Lady Macbeth I can not see this one.

The value is around 50 Pounds or 75 Dollars but could attract much more in auction as this scene is not as common as most."

Thanks again everyone for all the assistance.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:26:40 am by Dean Perdue »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:41:10 pm »
Another site with a bit more detail:

http://writeantiques.com/collectors-crave-vintage-osborne-ivorex-wall-plaques/#more-143

Here is a close up of the A/O incorporated into another of his plaques and a close up of the bottom of yours.  Maybe I've just been staring at this screen too long today, but do I detect an A over an O in the lower left corner of yours, to the right and a little above that 'wrinkle'?

Dean Perdue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:02:42 pm »
Incredible eye for detail Sapphire.
I had to look through a loupe to see this A/O mark and would have totally overlooked it had you not brought it up. Good work!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:30:57 am by Dean Perdue »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 10:12:23 pm »
Thanks! Totally new to all of this but really enjoying the learning experience and the searching for answers.