Author Topic: Antique 19th/20th century tapestry hammock: Info? Lots of PICS!  (Read 1921 times)

Monolith

• View Profile
Antique 19th/20th century tapestry hammock: Info? Lots of PICS!
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:37 am »
Hi!  I just googled "antiques forums" and found this place, so I'm hoping some of you folks might be able to help me out with this.

I've got an old hammock.  The woman who owned it before me said she thought it was from some time around 1880-1930.  A big range, but I haven't been able to find ANY info on old hammocks to narrow it down.  It has it's original wood and iron hardware, and even has straw stuffing in a pocket at the top which I assume was designed to act as a pillow.

If anyone has info on this, no matter how insignificant -- even a suggestion as to where else I might look for info -- I'd greatly appreciate it!  I picked it up very inexpensively and originally planned on attaching a canvas backing of some sort to strengthen it and reuse it.  However, since I've found so little information on this, I want to make sure it's not a rarity before I start messing with it.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
Re: Antique 19th/20th century tapestry hammock: Info? Lots of PICS!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:15 am »
Welcome to the forum , Monolith .

Nice old hammock with the griffin motif .

I think you're in the ballpark with the age of your item ... there was a bit of a revival of use/design of griffin motifs around theose dates .

Hammocks were an item that were somewhat in vogue , and many were imported from Mexico , Brazil and Europe .

My knee-jerk reaction is that it's sort of a Spainish-Islamic inspired/replicated design .

I can't seem to tell if yours is a brocatelle (raised areas of the pattern are formed by a double-warp) or not .

Do you know what type of fibers/mat'ls are used in the fabric ?

I'd go along with your idea to NOT attach another backing , for now , until you're sure about how you'll use/display your item .

As a suggestion , you might try sending an image or two to : info@weaversguildofboston.org , in order to try to get more info .

We'll see what other members here have to say .

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »
Would love to see some replies to regularjoes questions!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Monolith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »
Thanks for the help, Joe!

I'm not sure if the hammock was produced in the US or imported as I haven't noticed any manufacturer tags or labels. 

As far as the material and type of weave, I have no idea.  I know nothing about weaving methods or textiles in general.  I've attached a few more up-close photos, hopefully they'll help!

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »
Thank you for posting additional images , Monolith .

It kinda looks like some id on the cast metal ring , too indistinct for me to tell , though ... perhaps a rubbing (made with a pencil/crayon & paper) might bring out details & clues there ...

Only problem I'm having with the great images it that I (we?) need to know which direction is which -

The 'warp' direction , relative to your images , would be great/crucial to know .
Are any of the second series of photos from the surface of the griffins ( I'd like to see that area , as to the question about it being brocatelle or not ) .

The warp would be the long 'cords/threads/fibers/strings' running the length of the hammock .
(the other threads running across @ 90 degrees relative to the warp , are known as the 'weft')

Also , pics taken from the back of such fabrics (and including a plain old regular quarter coin , for scale)can tell a story too ... just another 'weaving fyi' , esp. if you intend to post your cool hammock on more forums/places .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:33:52 pm by regularjoe2 »

Monolith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 01:03:28 pm »
I've included a few more photos.  "Background1.jpg" is a macro view of the front of the hammock.  The arrows indicate the top (head) and bottom (feet).  The red box is outlining an area which is enlarged in "EnlargedFront1.jpg".

The last pic, "EnlargedBack1.jpg", is a picture of the same area on the back of the hammock.

You're right about the possible mark on that iron hardware -- I looked quickly and can't decipher too much, though.  The most I could make out was "PAT", which I would assume would be followed by a patent number, but it didn't look like there was enough room for anything else on there.  I'll try messing with close-up shots of it on my computer later and try taking a rubbing as well to see if I can tease out a bit more info.

Monolith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 01:04:31 pm »
Couldn't fit the third pic in that last post, here it is: