Author Topic: To Restore or Not to Restore?  (Read 7579 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
To Restore or Not to Restore?
« on: September 12, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »
If the deal goes down as planned, I should be picking up this neat little rustic Chinese bench for $20 next week. The question is, should I leave it as it is, or put a deep red stain on it to return it to something close to the original finish? It looks like it is extremely worn and weathered, but the seller says it is still very sturdy. It looks like it has absolutely no finish left on it and I guess it will boil down to if it has been sanded already, it would definitely stain it. If it is just weathered from outdoor use, I might consider leaving it be.

What I'm thinking of something like I did with this piece- No sanding, leaving the surface original, just the deep red stain. Here are the before and after photos:

Antiqueaholic in recovery

railman44

• View Profile
Re: To Restore or Not to Restore?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 02:39:15 pm »
Restoration of furniture is the court of last resort in my book.  However, many people won't touch an orginal rough piece because they don't know how to do it or they don't have the workspace to accomplish the task.  Many will pay top dollar for a piece restored.  It's just a personal thing with me and most vintage pieces of furniture will find their value increased with a decent restoration.  Some artifacts are destroyed restoring them.  Coins, guns, objects with a patina will be ruined if polished or restored.  If it's a very old antique piece of furniture, I would seek other qualified opinions before restoring.  My .02 pesos.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:45:22 pm by railman44 »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 02:51:49 pm »
Looks like a good score for a 20-spot .

Can't tell 4 sure , but it looks wet from wash/rain and dry from weathering .

You could always let it dry out for a month , if 'wet' , and just oil it for a few months to bring some life back into it ... and decide later about the finish .

Are parts of it teak ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:51 pm »
Looking at the photos, it is hard to tell. I'm thinking it's been sanded already, because I don't see any sign of lacquer or paint on it anywhere, even in protected areas. But the end of it definitely looks like its water damaged. I'll know more seeing it in person. It's for me personally. It is going next to the Chinese bed, replacing the trunk I have sitting there. Honestly it would look better with the stain than as is, I'm just arguing with myself over if I should do it or not, more for moral reasons than practical ones.  ;)  

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 04:56:00 pm »
I guess I have learned over the years to take some time.....not hurry things.  Because of this I go with fancy's suggestions of oiling - letting it sink in - oil again - as many times as necessary to "rehydrate" the seemingly rain/washed out/weathered wood.  You may even like the wood once you do that...and it will have alot more "aged" personality.

However, if you like the sleek/finished look that you so aptly accomplished with your other piece...you can then do that!

Boils down to personal taste.

Good buy for $20.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »
Yeah I like the idea of rehydrating, the wood would might have a color change too, it looks bone dry right now. I can always try that first and at the very least treat the wood by rehydrating it, then reassess what I want to do. I'm in no hurry to rush it.

You know I just double checked the ad, those are two different benches. Bench 1 is in the first and second photos. Bench 2 is in the third photo. I just emailed him and said I'd take both if they are not spoken for.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 09:04:21 pm by talesofthesevenseas »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:08:54 am »
When staining "raw" wood one has to remember that any knot holes and "end" grains or cut edges will absorb more of the stain resulting in those areas being much darker and you can never un-do it.

With large grain wood such as pine or oak the entire surface of the boards are subject to this problem.

So, unless you want the above described "effect", before you stain anything, buy yourself a quart of shellac and a quart of denatured (wood) alcohol and mix them together 50-50. Both quarts if a big project, smaller batches if needed. (mark the container and seal it tight, it will keep forever.)

Anyway, just give all wood surfaces a "sloppy" coat of it and let it dry (couple hours).

Then, either light sand (220 grid) or steelwool the surfaces smooth. Careful though, some finishes tell you not to use steelwool.

Note: Most any new or weathered wood has tiny little "whiskers" that are almost impossible to sand off. Thus, the shellac acts like a "shaving cream" and firms those "whiskers" up and the steelwool will cut them right off.

That process seals all the surface area and the stain goes on nice and even. One should do that especially if they are going to paint the wood because the paint goes on much smoother and the next owner won't have any trouble stripping the paint back off.  ;D

WARNING: always do a "test spot/patch" where it is not readly visible.

Monolith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 02:36:22 pm »
Any idea what the history of that style of furniture is?  After reading this post I just randomly came across a very similar piece in a listing for a local auction -- I attached pics from the auction listing.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 04:41:20 pm »
Tales should like this. it's a japanese alter table. go well with her other furnishing's.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »
Nice!! I heard back from the seller of the two benches, looks like I'll be picking up both next week.

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
That's good news on the pair , talesof .
One large , one small .

My guess would have been Chinese safety-stilts , D&b .

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:55:59 am »
if Hubby is not carefull. tales is going to have every thing  from china & japan bought up here in the states. can't say I blame her.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 10:20:15 am »
LOL... Heaven help the poor man!!!  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 10:38:39 am »
talesof.....I am pondering that your bench is what is called a Chinese Long Bench or a Chinese Low Bench.   Used around the outsides of a room.

The table listed above by Monolith is in fact an altar table - the sides curve upwards to the heavens.

Just for grins, came across an interesting chinese bed you might have fun viewing http://www.asiagalleries.com/products/chin3_chinese_canopy_bed.html
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:30:13 pm »
Beautiful bed! There are a surprising number of these beds around, every one of them different and unique. They are fascinating and some of the more elaborate ones even have secret drawers and compartments in them. I got some neat feedback on a Chinese History forum once from people who could remember an elderly aunt or grandmother who had one and that these beds were a favorite place for storytelling. I love to think about who might have had mine!

I have seen a lot of these little benches. These ones look pretty typical, there's a lot of variation on the basic bench. I am picking them up tonight and the seller also has a small stool available, same condition, for $10. Hard to go wrong with that!

Here's some examples of similar ones:

And here's a restored one on Ebay going for $379:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JJ-Chinese-Antique-Typical-Ming-Antique-Long-Bench_W0QQitemZ200002727034QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAsian_Antiques?hash=item2e91176c7a&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I'll let you guys know how it goes.